Thread: E15 on the way?
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 09:35 PM   #45 (permalink)
roosterk0031
Master EcoModder

Nothing holds carbon for ever. Corn takes it out of the air, puts part of it into the corn, rest stays in the plant is broken down into soil or used for cellouse ethanol to be burned and returned to the air. Tree's have a slower cycle, but unless you land fill the wood it decomposes and returns to the cycle.

I really don't think the speed of the cycle matters, yes tree's hold it for 20-40 years but it really just delays the release, it doesn't elimnate it. A crop you don't have to replant every year and takes little or no fertizlers is the best(grass). But corn stores really well for years without loosing any value, we already have corn bins all over to store it, it's energy density is way higher than grass, and we are already really good at growing it.

If carbon is your concern, you have to quit using fossil fuels, and go Ethanol. Electric cars are a joke, untill all electricty come from renewable or nuclear. For a long time into the future liquid fuel is what we will use. Ethanol is the best thing I can see.

Farmer are getting to be better business men all the time, they can't afford to over fertize, pesticide etc.... I just wish they'd quit bulldozing every creek & fenceline, pheasant hunting suck lately.