View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012, 03:48 PM   #30 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
VW badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by viio View Post
And with that in mind, I re-worked my cold air intake today. This was a bit tricky since I don't have an opening on the front grille any more so I had to get a little creative - or destructive actually.

The top of the grille is the only place to suck air in from now and unfortunately it looks like this:

So I got trigger-happy with a jig-saw and opened it up.

Now the air flows in through the VW badge (the badge was blocked behind but now it's an intake!

Next step was to sort out the very restrictive cold-air feed which for some reason had a big plastic chunk blocking the flow of air. It also had an opening at the bottom about 15mm high and covered the full width of the intake section. In short, most of the air coming in the front would be directed out the bottom and didn't head towards the engine! WTF!

I've now cut out the restriction and taped the whole thing up so that the air can't leak, and the air pressure increases on the intake that goes to the engine. Here's the before and after. You can probably see the original gap from the height difference in the "after" pic below:

It would be instructive to do a small tuft test around the badge area.
On the 1st-gen Ford Taurus,air actually came out of the upper oval opening due to the accelerated flow in that vicinity.