View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012, 09:28 PM   #192 (permalink)
Olympiadis
oldschool

White2003Focus - '03 Ford Focus SE 4-door sedan
Team Ford
90 day: 38.53 mpg (US)

White2001S10pickup - '01 Chevy S10 extended cab LR
Last 3: 24.51 mpg (US)

1989DodgeOMNI - '89 Dodge Omni
Last 3: 30.38 mpg (US)

1991ChevyC1500pickup - '91 Chevy C1500
Last 3: 24.03 mpg (US)

White1986Irocz - '86 Chevy Irocz LB9
Last 3: 30.14 mpg (US)

1999 C5 Corvette - '99 Chevy Corvette

2008 Infinity G37 - '08 Infinity G37
Ok now, some of you elitist types and forward thinking "warmers" seem to me to be full-speed ahead on pushing technological advancement to move us into a new and improved age of energy usage and management. - Correct me if I'm wrong.

So, who cares to explain to me how collapsing western economies via ultra-high fuel prices, and driving present infrastructure into failure via crushing regulations and government power-grabs is going to help the cause of technological advancement along?

Did it occur to any of you that allowing our economy to thrive (relatively) on fossil fuel could very well be the primary thing that in fact keeps our technology on pace to actually find reasonable and practical solutions (real solutions) to our current problems and worries about running out of energy?

Sorry, but I just don't see the collapse of western economies as a step forward to a new technological advancement in energy management, unless you are hoping that China will find our solutions and save us.

Perhaps someone has an actual working explanation for how this is supposed to work out in the end beyond the typical elitist insults, catastrophizing, and hopes & dreams. If so, then I will appreciate the response.

So far, I do not appreciate people who are willing to gamble away my future in order to satisfy their own fears, forward their own status, or ease their own personal guilt. I don't mind individuals doing what they feel is right as long as it is limited to their own personal world, and doesn't end up controlling mine. Many of us do not feel the need for a "nanny", or a collective stock-broker that is largely incompetent.

You catastrophizers should really appreciate the "nick-of-time" factor that keeping our economy going could offer as far as advancements in technology. Surely you know that putting more people in the position of "struggling to survive" could/would take away their time for experimentation and ability to invest in R&D to discover new technology.
It seems that some people only think in the terms that raising taxes and dumping it onto college kids is the only way that we could intellectually save ourselves.
Am I wrong in how I'm judging my observations here?

I would really appreciate carefully thought out answers to my questions that could possibly offset the already negative view I have formed after reading some of the speculative nonsense and other shenanigans in this thread so far.