View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 07:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
jago25_98
EcoModding Lurker

Full pollution protection 'pollen filter'

Drivers take more pollution than cyclists... even though cyclists are breathing more air due to working harder.

In heavy traffic you can suck up a lot of fumes. It depends on many factors including fuel quality regulations in your area but generally it's a heady mix of badass particulates and gasses like benzene and carbon monoxide.

Of these, lead(where unleaded fuel isn't in use) and benzene seem like the best candidates causing a nausea like feeling and carbon monoxide for that general drained, lack of energy feeling. This is from my own acedotal experience of living in a country with different regulations on fuel. I need more experience but i can say that driving with a gas mask definately makes a big difference on a 4 hour drive in heavy traffic.

Particulates are easy and cheap to block, plus you can see the dirt collecting on the filters.

Filters in cars are designed to filter particulates. That's good. But when did you last change your filter... Or is the cabin air coming in from poor sealed doors? What if we could upgrade this filtering?
Certainly gas mask filters are expensive... but carbon is not. The cost could be reduced further by buying filter paper wholesale. How are the nastier gasses filtered out in gas masks anyway... Beyond a simple filter paper and carbon filter that is.

So, I'm looking to upgrade my cabin air filter and i wondered if anyone has any experience to share on this.