View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 02:56 AM   #140 (permalink)
eq1
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for your in-depth help. Feel free to neglect my persistent questioning any time you'd like, you've gone above and beyond the 'call of duty' for sure. I'd probably be able to answer the questions better myself if I was able to download the manual from the site. Wasn't able to do that for whatever reason...

So... I get a little bit confused when I hear new things the charger can do, things I never even imagined. And then, it's all pretty new to me... For example, I didn't even think about doing cell-level charging. I've only been thinking about doing stick-level charging. The notion of "balance charging" is kind of throwing me off; I was just thinking charging is charging, now it's like 'What's this balance charging thing?' But let me take a stab at it...

With the superbrain I think I would've been able to connect 4 sticks in series (24 cells) and charge the 4 sticks at one time (maximum of 7.5A), and the charger would have treated it as one stick, one battery. I didn't want to do that because, as I understand it, doing a stick with 6 cells at a time is bad enough. All the cells are not likely to have identical characteristics, and that can pose problems, such as delta V detection, or cutoff voltage vis-a-vis cell reversal... 24 cells is 4 times worse....

So, with one CellPro8, it sounded like maybe I'd be able to charge, say 2 sticks just as I was charging one. That, in essence, the CellPro would be able to do the detection stuff separately for each stick. But perhaps that's not so. You write:

"Use the bare wire lead balancing connector I linked to last time to connect to each cell and balance as you go ... you can connect multiple of these together if you like in parallel ... to do multiple packs in parallel... balancing is done in bulk for all the cells / packs connected in parallel."

This doesn't sound like it is doing the "detection stuff" separately for each stick, but rather, "balancing is done in bulk for all the ... packs connected in parallel."

Perhaps "balancing" is equivalent to what I'm calling "detection stuff?"

Anyhow, I'll leave it at that for now...