View Single Post
Old 12-22-2007, 07:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
trebuchet03
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Holy crap - it's actually a tangible prototype! Very Cool

Newton, keep in mind that the quest and vector serve two different purposes Vector is for speed, quest is for commuting/recreation/touring efficiently If I recall, the vector is a frame/fairing - and the quest (and mango counterpart) is a frame/fairing composite monoqoque with sub frame (very cool ). The quest also has some large holes in the front for ventilation...

Quest Interior:

Quote:
You might also increase drive line efficiency, because you might be able to have one long chain going from the front to the back (not sure how many chains there are in something like the quest, but looking at the front page it looks like there are several.
Multiple chains with good reason Long chains are more susceptible to wobble - not so great for reliability. Adding guides and tensioners just creates more (if not the same) friction as a jack shaft. Plus, a jack shaft gives you the opportunity to up your gearing Long chains can also be problematic with dérailleurs and such (at least, it makes tuning much more important and finicky) I'm not saying either one is better or worse - but I've seen first hand why those decisions were made My last point - the drive line losses are insignificant compared to the aero losses and any weight penalty. It's not that they're not important - but given that, it's cost effective to improve where you can get higher gains