View Single Post
Old 03-03-2012, 10:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
CamaroSpike23
The Jalopy Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXSTi View Post
Welcome to Ecomodder,

I don't think you can shave an hour off a 4 hour trip by driving 5-10 mph over unless you have some very low speed limits.

I doubt anyone here will give you grief over driving a truck that is actually used to haul loads, especially since you do it as a business. Many will suggest a second car for those trips where you don't have a load to move.

17.8 on the highway is off to a good start.
Depending on the distance the hotel is from the interstate (sometimes .5 miles, sometimes up to 20), the only time I'm usually going less than 80 is swinging thru Columbia where it drops down to 65 at the slowest point.

Google maps/mapquest/etc all list the route as taking ~4.5 hrs and I usually make it in around 3.5 depending on traffic. its straight interstate the whole way there outside of when I get into town and hit stop lights enroute to the hotel.

I've thought about a second car... would really be a third (have a 78 camaro in the garage getting restored when I get time). the good thing is that I live close to work, so I usually drive less than 20 city miles a week. But I do a lot of long distance driving throughout the year and usually put at least 20k miles on a vehicle every year.

one of the big mods I'm planning for the truck is changing the rear gears out to something a little more mpg friendly (3.55's or so) without losing too much low end grunt.

I'm waiting to hear back from BMI here in town about doing some aerodynamic modifications to the truck. I'm already working on an underbody tray to minimize turbulence under the truck. will be made of sheetmetal at first, then maybe going onto fiberglass/plastic down the road.

I've read just about every thread about the aerobed truck covers that a few members have been making with the intent of doing something similar.

only personal downside about those bed covers, they have no provisions for someone who has a tool box on the bed (something I plan on addressing).