Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
The Jalopy Jedi

Long time lurker, infrequent poster

Hey all,

as the title states, I've been lurking on here for a while reading and gaining information.

I drive a 2006 Silverado 2500HD, crew cab, 2WD pickup. 6.0L gas engine with 4.10 gears out back.

When I first bought the truck last January (used with ~110k), it was averaging around 10mpg city/highway.

After changing the spark plugs, switching to full synthetic oil and gear lube in the rear diff, new air filter, custom CAI, and new tires, I've been able to get a max of 17.8mpg on the highway.

Right now my average is about 12 city and 15 highway (my office is 2 miles from the house plus I drive 500 mile round trip at least once a month for work, interstate the whole way)

One of the biggest issues for me is keeping my foot out of it. in the city, its not too hard, but on the interstate... well, when you can make a 4 hour drive turn into a 3 hour drive by averaging 5-10 over the limit...

Not to mention, I have been doing comparison fuel economy testing ever since I got this truck (now at 145k). From the baseline 10mpg, to changing one thing each time I make the 500 mile trip for work such as:
1. baseline numbers
2. new plugs
3. oil change(s)
4. air filter
5. diff fluid
6. tailgate up/down (down sucks btw)
7. going no more than 5 over the speed limit (roughly the same as going 10 over)
8. going the speed limit (roughly the same as going 10 over, slightly better, but an hour of my time > an extra $10.00 in gas)

I know I don't drive the most economical vehicle out there (I have a small towing business spring to fall so getting rid of my truck is out of the question), but I am working on improving my fuel economy. (so far, I've nearly doubled my max mpg capability...lol)

Figured I'd finally step in and introduce myself. For some personal stuff...

I'm an FAA licensed A&P mechanic as well as a marine diesel service engineer for Caterpillar and a licensed pyrotechnician for Zambelli Internationale

And I'm also a moderator on another website Camaro5.com (same screen name)

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Grasshopper - '11 Ford Fiesta SES
Team Ford
90 day: 50.37 mpg (US)

Feejer - '09 Yamaha FJR1300 AE
Motorcycle
90 day: 42.73 mpg (US)
Welcome to Ecomodder,

I don't think you can shave an hour off a 4 hour trip by driving 5-10 mph over unless you have some very low speed limits.

I doubt anyone here will give you grief over driving a truck that is actually used to haul loads, especially since you do it as a business. Many will suggest a second car for those trips where you don't have a load to move.

17.8 on the highway is off to a good start.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Jalopy Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXSTi View Post
Welcome to Ecomodder,

I don't think you can shave an hour off a 4 hour trip by driving 5-10 mph over unless you have some very low speed limits.

I doubt anyone here will give you grief over driving a truck that is actually used to haul loads, especially since you do it as a business. Many will suggest a second car for those trips where you don't have a load to move.

17.8 on the highway is off to a good start.
Depending on the distance the hotel is from the interstate (sometimes .5 miles, sometimes up to 20), the only time I'm usually going less than 80 is swinging thru Columbia where it drops down to 65 at the slowest point.

Google maps/mapquest/etc all list the route as taking ~4.5 hrs and I usually make it in around 3.5 depending on traffic. its straight interstate the whole way there outside of when I get into town and hit stop lights enroute to the hotel.

I've thought about a second car... would really be a third (have a 78 camaro in the garage getting restored when I get time). the good thing is that I live close to work, so I usually drive less than 20 city miles a week. But I do a lot of long distance driving throughout the year and usually put at least 20k miles on a vehicle every year.

one of the big mods I'm planning for the truck is changing the rear gears out to something a little more mpg friendly (3.55's or so) without losing too much low end grunt.

I'm waiting to hear back from BMI here in town about doing some aerodynamic modifications to the truck. I'm already working on an underbody tray to minimize turbulence under the truck. will be made of sheetmetal at first, then maybe going onto fiberglass/plastic down the road.

I've read just about every thread about the aerobed truck covers that a few members have been making with the intent of doing something similar.

only personal downside about those bed covers, they have no provisions for someone who has a tool box on the bed (something I plan on addressing).
Old 03-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

You are off to a great start, but you must SLOW down more! The aero for your setup
is never going to be like a car.

Find plenty of music, or listen to books; enjoy a disciplined cruise!

I may sound harsh, but hauling buns won't win the game!

Regards!
06 Chev MonteC JG#24tribute car 30mpg 00 Honda Insight 63MPG 98 Buick Park Ave3.8 33MPG 89 Toyota Corolla wag 53MPG so far 81 VW Rabbit diesel pu 50MPG+ 80 Mercedes 240D stick 30-ish 90 vette 6-speed,29ish 07 Honda ST1300 55MPG 83 Honda 650 GL 64MPG 19 Suzuki dr200 88MPG23 HondaGrom?+Tow K10D Sub 26mpg NEVER,NEVER GIVE UP!
PUMP THOSE TIRES UP!
DRIVE IN YOUR SOCKS FOR SENSITIVITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SLOW DOWN AND SMOOTH UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![SIGPIC]
The Following User Says Thank You to larrybuck For This Useful Post:
CamaroSpike23 (03-04-2012)
Old 03-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Jalopy Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrybuck View Post
You are off to a great start, but you must SLOW down more! The aero for your setup
is never going to be like a car.

Find plenty of music, or listen to books; enjoy a disciplined cruise!

I may sound harsh, but hauling buns won't win the game!

Regards!

when I tow, I rarely exceed the speed limit. But like I said above, the extra time I shave off is worth more to me than the extra $10-15 in gas that I burn.

Look at it this way, work 50-60hrs a week, then after you get off work on friday around 5-6pm, you swing by the house to take care of the dog and then you take your 9 month old daughter to her grandparents house (27 miles in the opposite direction), then top off the fuel tank and get on the road (Bags are packed the night before ).
So by the time you get on the road, its anywhere between 7 and 8pm. Then when you get to town, food is a priority (I don't stop on the road for anything). I'll snack on the road, but I don't eat a big meal while driving (can cause drowsiness).
So either get food or bring stuff with you to cook at the hotel. Check into the hotel and find your room and unload.
You have to be at work the next morning at 6 am and depending on the hotel location (which is out of my control ), you may have to drive anywhere from 5 to 30 miles the next morning just to get to the facility.

the difference between 11pm and 12 am is a PITA...
any spare bit of time I can get to get me to my destination sooner is worth the fuel expense. Especially since I've been doing this for over 2 years now with a total of 30+ trips trying different driving techniques when I go.

averaging 70mph gets me around 290 miles to the tank
averaging 80mph gets me around 270 miles to the tank
23 gal fuel tank, altho I've never run it low enough for the light to come on except for when I first got it and could not even get 250 miles to the tank before the light would come on. .

as far as music, I've got probably 50 cds in the truck that I'll listen to on the ride.

and don't worry about sounding harsh. I read no ill-intent with anything posted online. Like I said above, I run another forum myself.

as for my aero... it may not be like a car, but it can be improved. my drag coefficient is around .409 in the truck. and every little bit helps.

I will be doing some interesting things with my truck as far as the aero goes (aero-shell on the back, under trays, front air dam, side skirts, rear diffuser, etc) over the next year or so.

I've got access to the A2 wind tunnel in NC and am planning on making another trip this summer once I've got some test panels ready to go.

Gear change for the truck is in the plans as well as getting it tuned again, but instead of trying to make massive hp with the engine, I can streamline the truck a little more and maximize what I've already got.
The Following User Says Thank You to CamaroSpike23 For This Useful Post:
DeckSetter (03-04-2012)
Old 03-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Understood! You have a bit on your plate!
I envy your wind tunnel GIFT! Enjoy!
06 Chev MonteC JG#24tribute car 30mpg 00 Honda Insight 63MPG 98 Buick Park Ave3.8 33MPG 89 Toyota Corolla wag 53MPG so far 81 VW Rabbit diesel pu 50MPG+ 80 Mercedes 240D stick 30-ish 90 vette 6-speed,29ish 07 Honda ST1300 55MPG 83 Honda 650 GL 64MPG 19 Suzuki dr200 88MPG23 HondaGrom?+Tow K10D Sub 26mpg NEVER,NEVER GIVE UP!
PUMP THOSE TIRES UP!
DRIVE IN YOUR SOCKS FOR SENSITIVITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SLOW DOWN AND SMOOTH UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![SIGPIC]
Old 03-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
A hearty welcome to the forum.

I'm really looking forward to following your project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
and don't worry about sounding harsh. I read no ill-intent with anything posted online. Like I said above, I run another forum myself.
Yay - everyone should run forums, then we'd have no hard feelings!

Quote:
I've got access to the A2 wind tunnel in NC and am planning on making another trip this summer once I've got some test panels ready to go.

(source: http://www.a2wt.com/A2%20Wind%20Tunnel%20Design.htm )

You lucky dog! Every ecomodder's dream. Do you mean "access" as in "I know a guy..." or as in "I have a credit card"?

cheers-
Darin
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 04-13-2012, 03:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Jalopy Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrybuck View Post
Understood! You have a bit on your plate!
I envy your wind tunnel GIFT! Enjoy!
I haven't been too the tunnel in nearly two years. I'm looking forward to doing some testing again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
A hearty welcome to the forum.

I'm really looking forward to following your project.

Yay - everyone should run forums, then we'd have no hard feelings!

You lucky dog! Every ecomodder's dream. Do you mean "access" as in "I know a guy..." or as in "I have a credit card"?

cheers-
Darin
I hope you are in for a long ride... lol

quick update (and I should really start a new thread... will do that after I leave the shop today).

I'm buying a new house in another month or so. But... I've got 2 more credit cards to pay off between my wife and I and we will be debt free (besides the house) in the last year we've already paid off 7 other cards (I had 2... she has 5... go figure).

to add to that, we are switching babysitters and paying half the price we used to. so financially, things are looking much better.

As far as the truck goes, haven't done a whole lot in the last month or so besides change the oil and check tire pressure...

actually... now that I think about it... I did do a "mod" to reduce drag a little...

basically, a woman couldn't decide on which lane she wanted to be in and swerved into my lane... causing me to drive to the side of the road where it just so happens a tree limb was hanging out about 2ft into the road and off went my passenger side mirror....

its been nearly 2 weeks since it happened, but I haven't had the time free from work, kids, mortgage stuff to mess with getting it fixed. trying to find one on CL for now.

I have been working on some initial designs for a lower air dam for under the front bumper tho. that and adding brake ducts to the factory fog light holes (no fog lights on the truck).

As for the wind tunnel access question...its a little bit of both...lol

I've been very fortunate over the last half decade or so to meet, befriend and work with a lot of various race teams, pro shops and individuals who understand I'm not made of money (like some of them...lol) and they have let me "piggyback" on their testing days when they rent out the facility for the whole day. They get done with what they need a few hours early, and we start loading other vehicles into the tunnel, bikes, trucks, trailers, etc. But with most of these guys, I'm helping them out in other ways, whether it be working on their stuff, giving them technical advice (I am an engineer after all), or just helping them set up car shows/events/etc and usually add in a couple cases of alcohol and the gas to get there and back is enough to balance things out.

With the new home purchase, I may not be able to make it to the tunnel this summer as the house was built prior to 1950 and still has a lot of knob and tube wiring and a few other things that I have to upgrade over the coming months. And I've got the 3rd annual Camaro5Fest in Indianapolis in August.

But we'll see how things work out.

Reply  Post New Thread