View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
CamaroSpike23
The Jalopy Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrybuck View Post
You are off to a great start, but you must SLOW down more! The aero for your setup
is never going to be like a car.

Find plenty of music, or listen to books; enjoy a disciplined cruise!

I may sound harsh, but hauling buns won't win the game!

Regards!

when I tow, I rarely exceed the speed limit. But like I said above, the extra time I shave off is worth more to me than the extra $10-15 in gas that I burn.

Look at it this way, work 50-60hrs a week, then after you get off work on friday around 5-6pm, you swing by the house to take care of the dog and then you take your 9 month old daughter to her grandparents house (27 miles in the opposite direction), then top off the fuel tank and get on the road (Bags are packed the night before ).
So by the time you get on the road, its anywhere between 7 and 8pm. Then when you get to town, food is a priority (I don't stop on the road for anything). I'll snack on the road, but I don't eat a big meal while driving (can cause drowsiness).
So either get food or bring stuff with you to cook at the hotel. Check into the hotel and find your room and unload.
You have to be at work the next morning at 6 am and depending on the hotel location (which is out of my control ), you may have to drive anywhere from 5 to 30 miles the next morning just to get to the facility.

the difference between 11pm and 12 am is a PITA...
any spare bit of time I can get to get me to my destination sooner is worth the fuel expense. Especially since I've been doing this for over 2 years now with a total of 30+ trips trying different driving techniques when I go.

averaging 70mph gets me around 290 miles to the tank
averaging 80mph gets me around 270 miles to the tank
23 gal fuel tank, altho I've never run it low enough for the light to come on except for when I first got it and could not even get 250 miles to the tank before the light would come on. .

as far as music, I've got probably 50 cds in the truck that I'll listen to on the ride.

and don't worry about sounding harsh. I read no ill-intent with anything posted online. Like I said above, I run another forum myself.

as for my aero... it may not be like a car, but it can be improved. my drag coefficient is around .409 in the truck. and every little bit helps.

I will be doing some interesting things with my truck as far as the aero goes (aero-shell on the back, under trays, front air dam, side skirts, rear diffuser, etc) over the next year or so.

I've got access to the A2 wind tunnel in NC and am planning on making another trip this summer once I've got some test panels ready to go.

Gear change for the truck is in the plans as well as getting it tuned again, but instead of trying to make massive hp with the engine, I can streamline the truck a little more and maximize what I've already got.
The Following User Says Thank You to CamaroSpike23 For This Useful Post:
DeckSetter (03-04-2012)