View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
dem45133
Outside the Box

Yea, a little small but not as bad as the little Mazda 608 I had a while ago in the early 80s, or the 1990 Plymouth Horizon. But both got mileage. On the 1100 cc Mazda (yes 1100 cc)... I just could not get over the feeling that car was going to kill me... absolutely could not be driven in a straight line on a windy day. After 6 months I sold it. Got 35 mpg on old tech. The little Horizon is a pure 100% econo-box... absolutely zero creature comforts, but also gets 35+ average mileage on its little 2.2 cross mount. My wife has a 94 Chrysler Concord with a 3.3 V6 and it gets 23 or so mpg normal 25 on the interstate, which I think today its considered a full size. Its about as small as I'd consider. Other than these I've always had conventional V8s in half or 3/4 tons. Recently (2 years ago) picked up a 2001 Dodge 3500 4x4 extended cab HO Cummins/6 speed. Gets 20 on the interstate if not over 60... but I almost never drive 60 on an interstate.... typically 70. They also have to withstand at least one deer hit a year around here. I ended up hitting a 1200 lb dark red chestnut horse on a very dark rainy foggy morning with the 1 ton with a fairly hefty guard on the front. Actually there was two of them dancing in the road, the other one was black and neither showed up in the lights until I was right on em. The truck and I drove away with only a few k of damage (mostly to the dually fender after the horse flipped around from the front impact) and the horse was dead... If I'd been in the itty-bitty Mazda or today's equivalent I'd likely have been dead too as it would have pivoted at the hood line as the legs were shoved out from under it and the 1200 lb animal would have been trying to squeeze through the windshield! Country living has a few unique hazards suburbiaville does not. Something to be said for height and weight out here.

Dave