View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 08:45 PM   #50 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrews View Post
I had replaced my resonator when it developed a crack at the weld.
I replaced it with a x pipe sine I had factory duals past the single resonator.
I did notice a tad bit more buzzzing or humming from the exhaust since the resonator was right under the front seats.
(but only for a couple of days)
so I thing you will be fine!
Good info. The rez had the only lower heat shield left, which rusted closed, trapped salt/moisture, and Chemistry finished the story. With a straight pipe, I wouldn't imagine that any adverse sounds would be a big deal (it fits the age of the car).

Aside from the inner A-pipe buzz, I'm really satisfied with the stock design of the system (perhaps a 4-2-1 header would help low RPM efficiency). But as Daox mentioned earlier in the thread, exhaust mods are costly and rather permanent for the EcoModding experimenter. As it continues to erode, I might consider a smaller pipe diameter -- I'm sure that most Honda B-Series products were tuned for high-rev performance... even still, any change is cautiously considered once other things are dialed-in.

On a side note, I'm wondering if anyone has info regarding VW's new lineup. I drove a 2012 VW Jetta this week (2.5 SE 5-Cyl / 6-speed auto). It had loads of useable power at 1000-2000 RPM (yet tended to get a bit wheezy at top-end) -- exhaust design? 1st gear was used less than 5% of starts -- way too low (6th gear could be manually hit at 50 km/h and offered 30-32 avg MPG with mostly highway operation). 70 mph registered just over 2000 on the tach.

RH77

_
_