View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 12:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
turbothrush
EcoModding Apprentice

2 x wrecked vx - '92 Honda Civic Vx
Team Honda
90 day: 62 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
Looks very nice. I anticipate you going below your weight goal.
DO you fly the thrush?
Thanks, So far the shell looks as though it will come in at less than 0.8
lbs per sq ft. or about 320 lbs or so (just the shell, no paint ,windows, or interior) ....and yes I fly the thrush. Its one of the first turbine models Ayres made. You fly?

Quote:
kingsway As you were building from scratch, could you not have considered making it a pop-top to reduce frontal area?

It does look a very nice shape however...

I've always hankered over a small tear-drop shaped trailer/caravan, that we could tow easily and over-night in.

Seeing your method of FG over foam has the wheels turning and thinking maybe I could build my own...
Thanks...I thought about a popup believe me but since this fiberglass and foam thing is new to me it seemed a little easier to build a hardside. Maybe down the road I would like to try a hardside popup.

I am really pumped about this method of construction .It is incredible the radius you can do. All you need is a tablesaw. Here is ordinary Home depot foam in 2" Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 127.jpg
Views:	2033
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	10440

and 1"
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture.jpg
Views:	1708
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	10441
You can even make compound curves if you kerf it both ways with the tablesaw. If you are kerfing large panels like I was you should make a simple plywood throatplate splitter for the table saw.

Last edited by turbothrush; 03-08-2012 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: forgot something