View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 01:08 PM   #59 (permalink)
beatr911
Master EcoModder

B2300 - '96 Mazda B2300 SE

Focus - '05 Ford Focus ST

The red car - '00 Honda Insight
Okay, so you want to make your choice of vehicle get better mileage. That is what this forum is for. You already know that your choice of vehicle is not what most of us would choose for a daily commuter if total cost of ownership was on our mind. These days vehicles can last for many hundreds of thousands of miles with good maintenance practices, yes even powerful 4 cylinder cars - but that is a different discussion.

I think he is asking us what can he do to his rig to better the mileage. He would probably want to have a number as to what he would be able to attain.

So, for the sake of sheer ecomodding discussion enjoyment, lets explore what could be done. I'd wager that most of the full size, 4wd, dually buyers are in the same boat as him. The manufacturers are probably shaking thier head wondering why anyone would buy a rig like this to drive long distances at thier own expense, but they sell at a tidy profit so they'll make and sell what customers will pay for.

The assumed constraints are:
1) Got to still have 1ton pickup utility.
2) Got to keep 4wd.
3) Got to keep the dually wheels.
4) Got to drive 70.
5) Got to be cheap because the reason is fuel is expensive.

The suggestions so far are:
1) Aerodynamic bed shell.
2) Driving technique.
3) Drive something else.
4) Massive plug in hybrid DIY.

Only the aeroshell meets the criteria as far as I can tell. Other suggestions that may meet the criteria:

Grille block.
Undertray.
Inflate tire to sidewall maximum.
Fold back or install smaller outside rear view mirrors.
Make your own bio-diesel out in the barn.
Taller gearing.

For most of the conditions (70mph, hauling only his butt), aerodynamics is the largest potentially variable factor. All told, I'd guess a 10% improvement is all that is to be expected within the constraints. Maybe another 5% with taller gearing?

Any other additions/deletions/suggestions?