View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012, 03:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Vman455

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,802 Times in 939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Welcome! Under good freeway and weather conditions I have seen mid 50s on my trip MPG gauge in steady-state driving. My 1998 Civic is somewhat like your 2005 Civic. Look at my garage entry if you want to see what I have done. But lowering your airdam is cheap and easy. I have wanted to install an undertray, but there is always something to do on the car. That would be good for you too.

BTW, Hondata can tune your ECU for you to alter the fuel maps and improve fuel economy (they are well-known for HP tuning but this is a lesser known activity of theirs). Your 2005 ECU is the first of the K-series, I think, and therefore much more easily tuned than my 1998 computer. You'd have to mail the thing to them, though, with the keys, which is kinda inconvenient with your daily driver.

Oh! If it works well, keep your AC. I removed mine for the weight and because I never used it and it worked only so-so anyway. But they are clutched, so you're main fuel savings will be through simply not using it on all but the hottest days. Tint your windows DARK and with good heat rejecting tint, and you'll be more comfortable and use less AC too.

james
Cool, I'll think about how to put a lower airdam on as well. The windows were already tinted when I bought the car, but the back window is starting to bubble. When I replace it I'll go as dark as is legal.

I've heard about Hondata and their K-Pro; the engine in my car is a D17, which unfortunately is unsupported by them. I have been considering getting an AEM cam gear to manually advance the timing when I change the timing belt this summer. It seems like a fairly inexpensive way (~$100) to get some of the benefits of a new tune without the expense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrews View Post
Welcome.

Cant see delelting the a/c.....but to each his own.
The rest of it seems like your on the right tracck

I soloed a79rx7 back in the 80's. I could fit all for track tires in the hatchback next to each other!
Lot of civics here, you'll enjoy it!
If it's not drawing power anyway, I think I'll keep it! Unless I end up moving somewhere I don't need it, like the Pacific Northwest, and want to get rid of the extra weight.