Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,800 Times in 938 Posts
Been lurking for a week now

May as well introduce myself! I've been perusing the site since I stumbled across it last week, after finding several articles on the Aerocivic, after googling "improving fuel mileage" or something similar.

My car: 2005 Civic EX coupe, power steering removed, some weight reduction. I've used the car to autocross in the past which was why I originally removed the power steering and tried to lighten it up a little, but I'm more interested in efficiency now that I have a long commute (~45 miles freeway) and gas prices are going nowhere but up. I have height-adjustable coilovers on it too which I installed last year and dropped the car 1". Yesterday, I dropped it another 1"-1.5", and we'll see what that does to the mileage.

Future plans: sell autocross wheels and tires (my weekend work schedule will prevent me from autocrossing anyway for the foreseeable future) and pick up some 14" steelies with LRR tires and solid covers; grill block(s), remove outside mirrors (in Illinois, I guess I could get away with just the center rearview, the way the vehicle code is written...but I want to add convex mirrors inside. If anyone can recommend a good model, I'd be much obliged), possibly look at lowering the front airdam (not sure, though--I've read on here that you want the dam to be lower than the lowest hanging suspension component on the car, and right now it looks like it might be lower than everything but the catalytic converter). Long-term: I'm not sure--spoiler? Boat-tail? Further weight reduction? Undertray? Remove AC (eek!)?

I've been averaging better than 40mpg just changing my driving habits, and now I'm trying pulse-and-glide with the engine in neutral around town and driving slower on the interstate (55-60mph), so I expect that number to go up. I'd like to see if I could get to 50mpg with that and some aerodynamic modification.

Whew, that was long. Sorry!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-09-2012, 03:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman455 View Post
May as well introduce myself! I've been perusing the site since I stumbled across it last week, after finding several articles on the Aerocivic, after googling "improving fuel mileage" or something similar.

My car: 2005 Civic EX coupe, power steering removed, some weight reduction. I've used the car to autocross in the past which was why I originally removed the power steering and tried to lighten it up a little, but I'm more interested in efficiency now that I have a long commute (~45 miles freeway) and gas prices are going nowhere but up. I have height-adjustable coilovers on it too which I installed last year and dropped the car 1". Yesterday, I dropped it another 1"-1.5", and we'll see what that does to the mileage.

Oh! If it works well, keep your AC and just avoid using it on all but the hottest days. Mine was always kinda weak and I NEVER used it anyway, and so I removed it for the 35lbs. But they are clutched, and so they're doing no harm just sitting there, other than being a little heavyish.

Future plans: sell autocross wheels and tires (my weekend work schedule will prevent me from autocrossing anyway for the foreseeable future) and pick up some 14" steelies with LRR tires and solid covers; grill block(s), remove outside mirrors (in Illinois, I guess I could get away with just the center rearview, the way the vehicle code is written...but I want to add convex mirrors inside. If anyone can recommend a good model, I'd be much obliged), possibly look at lowering the front airdam (not sure, though--I've read on here that you want the dam to be lower than the lowest hanging suspension component on the car, and right now it looks like it might be lower than everything but the catalytic converter). Long-term: I'm not sure--spoiler? Boat-tail? Further weight reduction? Undertray? Remove AC (eek!)?

I've been averaging better than 40mpg just changing my driving habits, and now I'm trying pulse-and-glide with the engine in neutral around town and driving slower on the interstate (55-60mph), so I expect that number to go up. I'd like to see if I could get to 50mpg with that and some aerodynamic modification.

Welcome! Under good freeway and weather conditions I have seen mid 50s on my trip MPG gauge in steady-state driving. My 1998 Civic is somewhat like your 2005 Civic. For me, wheel skirts an an airdam, as well as lightening the load. Lower your airdam, cheap and easy. I want to install and undertray, but there is always something to do on the car.

BTW, Hondata can tune your ECU for you to alter the fuel maps and improve fuel economy (they are well-known for HP tuning but this is a lesser known activity of theirs). Your 2005 ECU is the first of the K-series, I think, and therefore much more easily tuned than my 1998 computer. You'd have to mail the thing to them, though, with the keys, which is kinda inconvenient with your daily driver.

james
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman455 View Post

Welcome! Under good freeway and weather conditions I have seen mid 50s on my trip MPG gauge in steady-state driving. My 1998 Civic is somewhat like your 2005 Civic. Look at my garage entry if you want to see what I have done. But lowering your airdam is cheap and easy. I have wanted to install an undertray, but there is always something to do on the car. That would be good for you too.

BTW, Hondata can tune your ECU for you to alter the fuel maps and improve fuel economy (they are well-known for HP tuning but this is a lesser known activity of theirs). Your 2005 ECU is the first of the K-series, I think, and therefore much more easily tuned than my 1998 computer. You'd have to mail the thing to them, though, with the keys, which is kinda inconvenient with your daily driver.

Oh! If it works well, keep your AC. I removed mine for the weight and because I never used it and it worked only so-so anyway. But they are clutched, so you're main fuel savings will be through simply not using it on all but the hottest days. Tint your windows DARK and with good heat rejecting tint, and you'll be more comfortable and use less AC too.

james
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 03-09-2012 at 08:44 PM..
Old 03-09-2012, 04:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
Welcome.

Cant see delelting the a/c.....but to each his own.
The rest of it seems like your on the right tracck

I soloed a79rx7 back in the 80's. I could fit all for track tires in the hatchback next to each other!
Lot of civics here, you'll enjoy it!

ECO MODS PERFORMED:
First: ScangaugeII
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eii-23306.html

Second: Grille Block
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-10912-2.html

Third: Full underbelly pan
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...q45-11402.html

Fourth: rear skirts and 30.4mpg on trip!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post247938
Old 03-11-2012, 03:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Team Toyota
SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Welcome! Under good freeway and weather conditions I have seen mid 50s on my trip MPG gauge in steady-state driving. My 1998 Civic is somewhat like your 2005 Civic. Look at my garage entry if you want to see what I have done. But lowering your airdam is cheap and easy. I have wanted to install an undertray, but there is always something to do on the car. That would be good for you too.

Oh! If it works well, keep your AC. I removed mine for the weight and because I never used it and it worked only so-so anyway. But they are clutched, so you're main fuel savings will be through simply not using it on all but the hottest days. Tint your windows DARK and with good heat rejecting tint, and you'll be more comfortable and use less AC too.

james
Cool, I'll think about how to put a lower airdam on as well. The windows were already tinted when I bought the car, but the back window is starting to bubble. When I replace it I'll go as dark as is legal.

I've heard about Hondata and their K-Pro; the engine in my car is a D17, which unfortunately is unsupported by them. I have been considering getting an AEM cam gear to manually advance the timing when I change the timing belt this summer. It seems like a fairly inexpensive way (~$100) to get some of the benefits of a new tune without the expense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrews View Post
Welcome.

Cant see delelting the a/c.....but to each his own.
The rest of it seems like your on the right tracck

I soloed a79rx7 back in the 80's. I could fit all for track tires in the hatchback next to each other!
Lot of civics here, you'll enjoy it!
If it's not drawing power anyway, I think I'll keep it! Unless I end up moving somewhere I don't need it, like the Pacific Northwest, and want to get rid of the extra weight.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Welcome! Sounds like you are willing to turn full circle.

I know you may suffer the DT's once in a while.

I haven't modded my CRX much at all: just tire psi increase, pass seat removal; most important is the nut behind the wheel.

On trips, at least once a year, I love to canyon race on some new back highway with tons of sweepers, and some switchbacks.

I let the cars momentum do the work, am still mpg gentle on any uphills, and try to plan for as little or no braking as possible.

Yes, there is a little lateral scrub, but if for the rest of your life you are saving, saving, saving; you have built up a bank account of sorts, so you can still enjoy a bank withdrawal once in a while!

I enjoy it the most when its a strange road I've never been on before!
06 Chev MonteC JG#24tribute car 30mpg 00 Honda Insight 63MPG 98 Buick Park Ave3.8 33MPG 89 Toyota Corolla wag 53MPG so far 81 VW Rabbit diesel pu 50MPG+ 80 Mercedes 240D stick 30-ish 90 vette 6-speed,29ish 07 Honda ST1300 55MPG 83 Honda 650 GL 64MPG 19 Suzuki dr200 88MPG23 HondaGrom?+Tow K10D Sub 26mpg NEVER,NEVER GIVE UP!
PUMP THOSE TIRES UP!
DRIVE IN YOUR SOCKS FOR SENSITIVITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SLOW DOWN AND SMOOTH UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![SIGPIC]
Old 03-14-2012, 11:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Team Toyota
SUV

Well, there are a lot of similarities between racing and driving for economy. They're both about momentum maintenance when it boils down to it.

I got new Continental ProContact with Ecoplus tires from Tire Rack today, and steel wheels and wheel covers should be here this weekend! Then it's on to my outside mirror delete and grill blocks.

Reply  Post New Thread