Thread: Trucks and wind
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2008, 09:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Hey Brent,

I think you should definately go with an "aero-cap" for the long run. Just make sure to keep it light weight.

Right now I have been running without any cap, and I got 30.1 mpg on my last tank.

I experimented with a modified tonneau cover made from contruction plastic stretched over the cab and bed. It think it helped a bit, but really needed a frame underneith to shape it better. (I still have packaging tape all over my truck!)

I also took a shot at building an aerocap with wood framing and greenhouse glazing material. I am not much of a carpenter and couldn't get all the angles right, and abandoned that.

I think the best way to make a cap would be using 4x8 foot shower wall panels, heated and bent around a LIGHTWIEGHT frame. There was one on this forum done that way over PVC pipe that looked really nice.

I say lightweight because I think weight was an issue with the standard cap I have. That square cap really cut into my fuel economy. I could always feel it catching the crosswind, and that thick fiberglass is just plain heavy!

Does anyone work at a place that makes things in giant plastic molds? Would be great if we could just stamp out big, cheap aerodynamic truck caps!!!!!

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos