View Single Post
Old 05-29-2008, 10:09 AM   #301 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Adapter Plate Template

Last night, I pulled out the transmission and set it on my workbench (read: tailgate)

I pulled all the extra bolts and alignment pins out - anything that stuck out on the flat side that attached to the engine.

I flipped the tranny down onto a sheet of tagboard so I could outline it and mark where the holes are.

Tonight, I am taking the tagboard template and the motor end cap over to the machinist's.

In the photo, you can see the motor end cap flopped on the template. I think I will leave measuring the end cap up to the machinist. It has multiple thicknesses and I wouldn't be able to center it right anyways.

Yesterday, I also bought two Lovejoy couplers and a "spider" that goes between them. I picked up both a 1" and a 7/8ths". I already bought one that will fit the motor driveshaft earlier, but they didn't have any for the Metro tranny at that store.

I have the "hub" from the tranny shaft and a drum brake part that fits on the splines on the motor, so both parts should weld up fine to Lovejoys to make a complete coupler.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos