View Single Post
Old 03-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
I recently got to use the laser cutter at the Milwaukee Makerspace! Man, is that thing cool!

After just a few minutes of training, I imported the vector art of the Open ReVolt logo and started etching on some scrap plexiglass!

I also figured out how to CUT with the laser cutter. It's not all that powerful, so cutting takes a few passes, but comes out so perfectly clean, with a nice smooth edge!

I made two different versions of Open ReVolt tokens. Just the logo cut out in a round shape. Could be used as a keychain or something I suppose! (I even added a little hole at the top for that!)

The clear plexiglass was "top-etched" - the side you are looking at is the front. I figured that when I actually do the lid of the motor controller case, I want the logo cut from behind, so the top is smooth, and doesn't get dirt and gunk in the engraved logo. For the orange token, I mirrored the logo art, so that you look THROUGH the smooth side and the logo is cut on the back.

I ended up having to go back to the Makerspace this morning (I left my laptop there last night!) I had my travel coffee mug with me, and started wondering if I could laser etch my name on it.

Sure enough, I can. I just had to make sure it wouldn't roll while the laser etched it.

I also grabbed the lightning bolt from the Open ReVolt logo and used it on the back side of the coffee cup.

A friend of mine there has been doing some work carving plexiglass and edge lighting it with LEDs. It's very similar to what I would like to do with the controller case.

I still have to figure out the boxmaker software, choose the material, learn how to power a string of green LEDs, but THEN I can make a really awesome controller case! (Don't worry, I'll be sure to post all the files when I'm done!)

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bennelson For This Useful Post:
MPaulHolmes (03-17-2012), Ryland (03-17-2012)