View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 06:41 AM   #19 (permalink)
kingsway
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningStrong View Post
Just a quick OT, do you tend to start learner off-street in car parks and such?

My first lesson involved driving on the street 10 minutes in and doing 60 mph on the way home.
Where possible, yes. But it usually isn't possible *, so it's a matter of finding an area that's as quiet as possible - one of the challenges of being a Driving Instructor in this crowded little island! ( I have great sympathy for those ADI's who work in places like London....)

I do have the advantage of also having a little automatic car - so I usually start a novice off in that, and switch them to the 'manual' once they're a bit more confident with the basics of making it stop, start and go in the right direction.

* We are usually banned from most car-parks! The chances of a learner in a dual-controlled car, under the supervision of a qualified ADI, hitting a car in a car park are almost zero - but a customer will complain to the supermarket, who are then worried they might be liable if something did go wrong, so we get kicked out. Not sure where people think novices are supposed to learn... Most of my pupils can park a lot more safely and accurately than the general public! (Like all Instructors, BTW, I carry a couple of million Pounds worth of Public Liability Insurance)