View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmiller100 View Post
I think you'd be money ahead to set up a relay to where the alternator only charges when the your foot is on the brake pedal, or when the voltage drops below some set number - maybe 12.0 or something.
Thanks Dr. Miller for your point about the alt and the design of the battery. That's what I thought people would say, but I wanted confirmation. I understand about the relay you mention too. And I considered it. But I rarely use my brakes with the car running. I have an alt cutoff switch, partly thanks to your input. I want to run the alt very rarely if at all and charge from the grid and the sun. I figure it might be worth $120/year to me to run this way if I can learn to do it properly. I intend to drive this car for many years more (11 years already).

I'm not looking for "money ahead" from each mod. I am motivated by the learning and the experience and seek only to more or less break even on the mods/hypermiling in total, over time. Separately, learning to maintain and repair the car myself is part of the deal and saves me cash. Next to payments on a new used car, this is cheaper, more entertaining, and more interesting.

Anyone have a recommendation for a charge controller? I really need that. And how might I wire it alongside the grid plug-in supplied by the Odyssey on-board charger?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.