Thread: Lurker to lover
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2012, 12:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
rollercoaster
Rookie Ecomodder

zoomzoom - '06 Mazda 6i sport
Lurker to lover

Hello,

Found this place searching for hypermiling or something. -Been lurking, but it seems I could not hold back and had to join to help and learn.

Since the price of gas has gone up (again) I started hypermiling -mostly coasting in my Mazda6 2.3 5 speed. My recent job commute has a lot of hills, so I took advantage of that and learned it has been two weeks without getting gas!

The car has been lowered, and I removed that gawd awful wing off the trunk and put on the factory duck tail. I could get up to low 30's on the highway, but want to improve that.

Since reading this site, I went after some more parasite drag: the moon roof deflector came off, and the front license plate was relocated lower, and unscrewed the top portion of the antenna -oh and I butchered the airbox to let more air in the restricted inlet. (it already had a K&N filter) -Sounds cool too !

Next may be a exhaust header and removing the back exhaust for weight loss and less restriction. Also thinking about moon discs for the rims once I find lighter rims. The front fog lamps jut out a bit and I want to do something with that too.

Once I figure out where to find that plastic card board stuff I want to tastefully do some experiments.

Looking forward to experiment and making progress!

Doug E.