View Single Post
Old 03-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
t vago
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
Do you see any weird vortexes off the corner of the bed from the current version?
With the version 2 aerocap, I've seen numerous times a nice strong vortex out my driver's side mirror in the rain and snow. Obviously, the vortex is more easily seen in snow, but the rain also makes it plainly visible. I'm not as able to examine the passenger side mirror as well as I can with the driver's side mirror, but I can see the effects of a vortex there, too.

They appear to form because the straight rearward moving air on the bed sides of the truck are interacting with the angled air being made to move at an angle because of the sides of the bedcap.

Quote:
The new one looks very nice- a great compromise between aero and volume, while reducing vortexes and side wind resistance with that semicircle.
Thanks. I'm still not sure what to think about the fact that it's quite a bit larger than any other aerocap I've seen. Might take some getting used to.

Quote:
I've never thought about "modeling" in Excel. Is it difficult?
It can be. Certainly, measuring the cab rear shape was a challenge. A lot of computation is tedious, too, which is ideal for Excel.

I modeled the rear cab shape as a series of points with lines connecting them. The shape was then processed over and over and over again using an arc transform function that I coded into Excel that was combined with a trig function, and the result was again shrunk by another trig function.
The Following User Says Thank You to t vago For This Useful Post:
Sven7 (03-19-2012)