View Single Post
Old 03-22-2012, 12:45 PM   #22 (permalink)
bheadrick
EcoModding Lurker

Nissan Sentra - '01 Nissan Sentra GXE
90 day: 46.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
Interesting results, 28 miles on 0.345 gal is over 80mpg, so i'm sure there is some room for error saying 60mpg, but seems pretty high. What mods have you done to the car besides how you drive it? I'm always looking for tips that work .
Well, there was already some fuel coming out of the pump handle before I actually started pumping - probably left over from where the last person was pumping - that wasn't counted in the .345. It was a tiny amount, but possibly as much as .09 gallons - that would bring the mpg to a bit over 64mpg.

I'll need a larger sample size to get a more accurate picture. I just wanted to make sure that 60mpg was in the ballpark and I wasn't actually just getting a little over the usual 32mpg. When I hit empty and fill up again, I'll have a more accurate figure.

No mods just yet, which makes me very excited about the potential. Pretty much all I'm doing is P&G, not cutting the engine. Also, when I accelerate, I try to modulate the pedal just right to maximize the instant mpg, which I can usually get about 35mpg if I'm not going up a steep incline.

I think my biggest advantage is that my route to and from work is lightly traveled and has very few stops, so traffic is usually a non-issue.
I have a couple mods planned for this weekend. Can't wait to see how much they improve my numbers.