View Single Post
Old 03-22-2012, 02:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepick View Post
California98Civic,

If you get the Odyssey PC1200 battery it won't be supported by their 6A charger that you have. Their chargers page indicates you need at least the 25A charger. ODYSSEY Batteries - Chargers I spoke with Kathy at Odyssey several times; their batteries "like" higher amps and also a bit higher voltage than standard lead acid. You might be willing to wait for a charge to complete but the battery won't do as well, long term.
I hear you. I emailed and called and so far have not been in direct contact with Kathy. Not her fault, just stuff getting in the way. I did purchase the PC1200, and it should be here today. Last Sunday, the old battery suddenly took a turn for much worse and is collapsing completely. I need my car (it's my DD). So I couldn't afford to think about options any longer, though your ideas sound very interesting and I'm hoping to get to keep following your experience and progress. As for the charger, I have been on the fence about it. Odyssey's site designates a larger charger for the PC1200, but its descriptions of what the 25amp charger does and how it works and what the 6amp charger does and how it works are identical. The only difference seems to be the amperage, which leaves me with the sense that time and depth of discharge are the real factors that matter. I called again a while ago and left a message. But I figure if I only discharge this new battery 20% before recharging 10-14 hours each night, and if I hit the battery with a two engine-off DFCO 14.3 volt 30+ amp charging glides during my commute, I should get a full charge into it. I'll keep you posted on how Kathy answers my questions when I get to speak with her. If she confirms your concerns as affirmatively, I'll probably cave and get the bigger charger too.

Thanks as always! -j
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.