View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 09:26 PM   #25 (permalink)
bheadrick
EcoModding Lurker

Nissan Sentra - '01 Nissan Sentra GXE
90 day: 46.29 mpg (US)
ARG!!!
I had planned on doing the Power Steering delete this weekend, but
A) the water pump is on the same belt, so I couldn't remove the belt
B) There appears to be more than just 2 hoses connected to the power steering pump.
Here, two hoses can be seen, in addition to another hose (not pictured) connected between the resivoir and the pump. I guess I'm going to have to buy the service manual to determine how to do this. Even if I find out what to do, the pump is in the back and is practically inaccessible. Perhaps I should get some jack stands and attempt to access it from below.

On the upside, since I wasn't able to do the power steering delete, I decided to do a little aero modding.
I did a partial grill block and belly pan - not sure if I can really call it a belly pan - it just extends from the bumper to just past the radiator where a deflector already existed.
Before:

After:

I haven't done any ABA testing to truly determine the effectiveness, but my gas mileage has been pretty consistent over the past few days, so I should be able to estimate.
Another interesting thing to note is that my UltraGauge has been telling me about pending trouble codes, so I finally got around to checking them today. One of them was P0174, which indicates that the system is running too lean, which might be a contributing factor to my higher gas mileage. I intend to get it serviced, of course, but I'm wondering just how bad something like that could be as long as I'm not having trouble with it sputtering.

Last edited by bheadrick; 03-25-2012 at 09:43 PM..