View Single Post
Old 12-23-2007, 11:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
trebuchet03
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Do those computers tell you how much energy you put through the crank - or how much energy you expend.... I trained/fit cyclist is about 25% efficient (according to the research I've done for the HPV competition/design reports) - so if those power meters don't compensate for that... you'll have to multiply by at least a factor of 4...

Quote:
The problem IMO is that doesn't illustrate fossil fuel consumption, which depends heavily on diet. We all know that oil extraction/refining eff=~80-85%, but the fossil fuel equivalent we use when cycling depends, more than anything else, on diet.
AND, where you get your food.... Lets say, perhaps hypothetically, I practice freeganism and get a sizable portion of my food from - a dumpster, for instance... How does that equate into the grand scheme of things?

------
I second (or third or whatever) the motion do do a comparison/ratio of cycling to driving... Perhaps have a gallons displaced based on the FE at the time of miles on bike? Of course, my commuting will be a bit more efficient compared to most of the rest of you - no hills and very very small grades