View Single Post
Old 04-06-2012, 09:50 PM   #50 (permalink)
max_frontal_area
EcoModding Apprentice

'bout a year ago

similar thoughts were going through my head for building a commuter:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-15874-2.html

the main ideas were simplicity, light weight execution (fewest parts/batteries -therefore 48VDC, best economy and the lack of a frame [unibody]), 2 completely INDEPENDENT power systems, precious ($$$) electric power used only used for cruise, freewheeling electric motor - when not in use (lightweight, minimal transmission losses, simple), on board solar power for aiding charging in OR refilling batteries when vehicle is parked, and while finding out about duty cycles it became immediately apparent that liquid and forced air cooling the low voltage electric motor was going to be a requirement for continuous use!

at press time i didnt know about 36V motors, thanks for pointing that out ben - it will save an additional 50lbs: Lifeline Batteries - Marine & RV Deep Cycle Batteries making this project even more realistic.
since then i have also thought of a thermostatically controlled battery cooler
considering charge rates would likely have to be high since using a diminutively sized battery bank.
finally the addition of methane gas to the intake air of the IDI diesel, turbo or NA would drive the efficiency of this rig through the roof.
virtually free fuel, since excess doggy doo doo, grass clippings, water and sunshine which are used for methane generation are abundant in american homes.

now, THIS is the S***T you wanna accelerate with!

re-inspired i shall do a new weight analysis...

Last edited by max_frontal_area; 04-06-2012 at 10:39 PM.. Reason: typos