Thread: sc1 aero mods
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 12:11 AM   #70 (permalink)
2000mc
herp derp Apprentice

Saturn-sold - '99 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 28.28 mpg (US)

Yukon - '03 GMC Yukon Denali
90 day: 13.74 mpg (US)
cfg83-
i'm having my doubts if that chart is correct, a few years ago i remember seeing another sc car (dont recall whose) getting some impressive numbers. they hadn't done testing either, just thought it'd be better w/o the spoiler. i'd seen that chart then and so just didnt worry about it. now heres another (arcosine) sc1 putting up good numbers w/o a spoiler.

so i did some testing... well, my results are dirty / sloppy at best due to traffic. measuring with a sg2, at 70mph i averaged 2.86% better mileage w/o the spoiler. looking for a way to skew the results for the spoiler, if i look at only my southbound runs i still averaged 1.08% better mileage w/o the spoiler.

because of traffic, i need to retest under better circumstances, but at this point i would be surprised if it came out any worse than a wash for removing the spoiler.

i had thought that the portions of the spoiler extending over the fenders must cause drag, but figured that the spoiler would be a benefit, basically extending the trunk lid. now i'm thinking the best case scenario is going to either be no spoiler, or a narrower spoiler.

sorry to invade the thread, but it is 'sc1 aero' still