View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 08:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
cleanspeed1
Diesel Addict/No Cure

StolenHoopty - '90 Honda Accord EX

HvyDrnkr - '93 Cadillac Seville
Just a thought, what cams do you have in your engine? Do you have adjustable sprockets?

My idea would be to put the stock USDM cams back into the motor and adjust the VTEC kick in point so that it would come on later, then get a J&S Safegaurd knock controller to mind the store when it comes to detonation. Good thing that Hondas are pretty good when it comes to cylinder head design.

I had thought about doing a Honda like this, but with a D series VTEC. All the VX mileage goodies but a lot of compression, pump gas or E85, and a custom ground cam. The low speed lobe would make more bottom end torque than stock so that it can be short shifted around, while the high speed lobe would be about the same as stock but with a little more lift. I asked the cam grinder if he could do something like that, he said "Sure".

Initially, I wanted a more Jeckyl and Hyde grind that would be do what I described above with an 8500 rpm high speed lobe, but he said the transition might be schizophrenic. Now that I think about it, I wouldn't mind that. As long as the engine is above 3500 rpms it shouldn't matter.

But all that got thrown out the window as of yesterday.......... a neighbor just offered me a FREE Toyota 2TC mini hemi 1.6L 4 cylinder out of an early Corolla. Life just got interesting!

Big n' Boxy, Never met a Hill it Didn't Like