View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
cleanspeed1
Diesel Addict/No Cure

StolenHoopty - '90 Honda Accord EX

HvyDrnkr - '93 Cadillac Seville
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonef8 View Post
Built motor is in my Civic Wagon Del sol has non Vtec D16 from a 99 civic Dx
Thanks for clearing that up. That kinda changes things a bit. Since you have the non VTEC motor, you could put an adjustable sprocket on the stock cam and play around with the phasing so that it boosts the bottom end torque, or if you give my guy a call he can grind a cam that will do exactly what you want. When you look at some of the threads that deal with the Geo Metro XFi cam swap ( just pop "Xfi cam swap" into the search engine on this site ) and see what effect it has when just done alone, it's worth doing the same thing to any motor.

If we are really honest, most of the time we don't max out our cars to warrant the kind of powerbands that are usually made into our gasoline engines. We usually operate idle to 4000 rpms most of the time. That's why getting a cam made that will put the torque way low, like a diesel, will force you to drive low in the range similiar to what a trucker does. Doing the cam swap even before you do the trans swap will boost the economy especially if you combine it with some good tuning ( Hondata anyone? ) Then when you do the transmission swap, the engine will be more closely matched to the new transmission ratios.

Here's the info for the cam grinder I like, HOME

The more details you give him, the better. If you can get cylinder head flow data for your engine ( either get it online or get a used head and get the numbers from .050"-.500" valve lift ), give it to him.

What you want amounts to a high torque truck style cam.

Put maximum torque around 2500 rpms and let the hp fall where it may. With the taller gears in the VX trans, even if you revved it out to 4500 rpms, you'll be doing well over 100 plus miles and hour.

Big n' Boxy, Never met a Hill it Didn't Like

Last edited by cleanspeed1; 04-09-2012 at 09:53 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cleanspeed1 For This Useful Post:
Cd (04-09-2012), cfg83 (04-10-2012)