View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 08:21 AM   #70 (permalink)
adamj12b
Master EcoModder

EVVette - '71 Chevy Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechman600 View Post
I received my "field control module" from EPC corp today. The quotation marks are definitely necessary. It looks home made. Not shoddily home made, but still home made.

It has 5 wires: battery pos, battery neg, motor pos, motor neg and ignition. I did what anyone would do and removed the cover to see what's inside.

A relay and a blue thing. I don't know what the blue thing is, but it's wired like this:

I did test it with a 12V battery and my motor. Yup - no spark when I disconnect the green "ignition" wire. But is this device actually doing anything besides transferring the inductive spark from inside the on-off switch to inside of the relay? Who knows. And the way everything is glued together, it's not like I can easily replace the relay if it lays an egg.

What is the blue thing?
The "blue thing" appears to be some kind of snubber capacitor designed to absorb surge voltage spikes in a DC bus.

It would be nice to know the actual part number on it, but its most likely on the top that's glued down or the side touching the side of the enclosure.

-Adam

You can download RTD Explorer for the Cougar controllers at www.EVVette.com