Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now
 


Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2012, 07:05 AM   #61 (permalink)
Eco-ventor
 
jakobnev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: sweden
Posts: 1,450

Princess - '92 Mazda MX-3 GS
House of Tudor
Team Mazda
90 day: 53.54 mpg (US)

Shirubāarō (*ω`*) - '05 Toyota Prius Executive
Team Toyota
90 day: 45.02 mpg (US)
Thanks: 62
Thanked 568 Times in 362 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jakobnev
How are the air hoses on them tho, can you put two in series like i suggested? It might be the cheapest solution since you already have one.

__________________




2016: 128.75L for 1875.00km => 6.87L/100km (34.3MPG US)
2017: 209.14L for 4244.00km => 4.93L/100km (47.7MPG US)
  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 04-05-2012, 01:57 PM   #62 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
mechman600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Langley, BC
Posts: 1,226

Fusion - '16 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
Thanks: 190
Thanked 272 Times in 166 Posts
It would be doable. It's just that I am quite disappointed in this vacuum pump for what I paid for it. $65 for a pump that barely does anything. I am asking it to do something that it wasn't designed for, though. If I spent another $65, I'm in it for $130 for something that might work. I think I would rather cut my losses and look for something better, like a proper used EV vacuum pump.

EDIT: I went to the hardware store today and picked up a 12V air compressor on sale. I got home and took it apart. Aaaaaaannnnddd....it won't work. The pump does not have a an intake port - the crankcase is open and the inlet valve is built into the piston. I was able to reverse the position of the inlet valve, but not the outlet valve. I reassembled it and made sure it still works and I will return it one of these days.

Scratch that idea. I am now searching eBay for real vacuum pumps.$$$

Last edited by mechman600; 04-05-2012 at 06:54 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:19 AM   #63 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Charlton MA, USA
Posts: 463

EVVette - '71 Chevy Corvette Coupe
Thanks: 31
Thanked 172 Times in 92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechman600 View Post
It would be doable. It's just that I am quite disappointed in this vacuum pump for what I paid for it. $65 for a pump that barely does anything. I am asking it to do something that it wasn't designed for, though. If I spent another $65, I'm in it for $130 for something that might work. I think I would rather cut my losses and look for something better, like a proper used EV vacuum pump.

EDIT: I went to the hardware store today and picked up a 12V air compressor on sale. I got home and took it apart. Aaaaaaannnnddd....it won't work. The pump does not have a an intake port - the crankcase is open and the inlet valve is built into the piston. I was able to reverse the position of the inlet valve, but not the outlet valve. I reassembled it and made sure it still works and I will return it one of these days.

Scratch that idea. I am now searching eBay for real vacuum pumps.$$$

This is what I would use if I needed a pump.

Amazon.com: Dorman 904-214 Mechanical Vacuum Pump for Ford Truck: Automotive

Its a replacement for the diesel ford trucks.

My Corvette has manual brakes already, so I didn't have to worry about vacuum issues.

-Adam
__________________
www.EVVette.com - 1971 Corvette Coupe Conversion to all Electric!
www.AdamBrunette.com - Machining, CNC, Robotics and Electronics.

You can download RTD Explorer for the Cougar controllers at www.EVVette.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #64 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
mechman600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Langley, BC
Posts: 1,226

Fusion - '16 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
Thanks: 190
Thanked 272 Times in 166 Posts
I wouldn't, because that's the exact one I have that doesn't work worth a crap!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #65 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Charlton MA, USA
Posts: 463

EVVette - '71 Chevy Corvette Coupe
Thanks: 31
Thanked 172 Times in 92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechman600 View Post
I wouldn't, because that's the exact one I have that doesn't work worth a crap!
WOW really?

Thinking about it now, the pump is designed to augment the little amount of vacuum that a diesle engine produces. Maybe its just enough extra to have good brakes?

-Adam
__________________
www.EVVette.com - 1971 Corvette Coupe Conversion to all Electric!
www.AdamBrunette.com - Machining, CNC, Robotics and Electronics.

You can download RTD Explorer for the Cougar controllers at www.EVVette.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:18 PM   #66 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurcher
 
mort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 317
Thanks: 142
Thanked 100 Times in 72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechman600 View Post
I wouldn't, because that's the exact one I have that doesn't work worth a crap!
Hi Mechman,
I see this at a local (to me) store. If I got one how could I test it to tell if it would work for you?
-mort
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #67 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
mechman600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Langley, BC
Posts: 1,226

Fusion - '16 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
Thanks: 190
Thanked 272 Times in 166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamj12b View Post
Thinking about it now, the pump is designed to augment the little amount of vacuum that a diesle engine produces. Maybe its just enough extra to have good brakes?
No, diesels don't produce any vacuum - they produce pressure. The brakes on these trucks are hydro-boost, using the power steering pump for power. This pump you link to (and unfortunately paid money for) is to provide vacuum for the HVAC system, AKA the heater controls. Too bad I didn't do my research before I bought mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mort View Post
Hi Mechman,
I see this at a local (to me) store. If I got one how could I test it to tell if it would work for you?
-mort
Wow, that's cheap. All you would have to do to test it is dead head the pump with a vacuum gauge and give 'er 12 volts. The gauge should quickly jump to 20"HG or more. A gauge doesn't have much volume to vacuum down, so it should happen almost instantly. My junky pump slowly pulls a gauge to 13.5"HG in 5-7 seconds.

However, going by the dimensions listed for your pump, mort, it is about the same size as mine, so I do not have much hope. I am watching a pump on eBay that is sold specifically as a brake booster pump for Hot Rods, like this one: Hella 009428087 - Hella Street Vacuum Pumps - Overview - SummitRacing.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:41 PM   #68 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
mechman600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Langley, BC
Posts: 1,226

Fusion - '16 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
Thanks: 190
Thanked 272 Times in 166 Posts
What's the blue thing?

I received my "field control module" from EPC corp today. The quotation marks are definitely necessary. It looks home made. Not shoddily home made, but still home made.

It has 5 wires: battery pos, battery neg, motor pos, motor neg and ignition. I did what anyone would do and removed the cover to see what's inside.

A relay and a blue thing. I don't know what the blue thing is, but it's wired like this:

I did test it with a 12V battery and my motor. Yup - no spark when I disconnect the green "ignition" wire. But is this device actually doing anything besides transferring the inductive spark from inside the on-off switch to inside of the relay? Who knows. And the way everything is glued together, it's not like I can easily replace the relay if it lays an egg.

What is the blue thing?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:02 AM   #69 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Hell
Posts: 28
Thanks: 10
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Hi,

Sorry, it's too late now and i can't post links yet, but please do a forum search on diyelectriccar dot com for "EBC corp". I'd high light two threads: EPC Controllers..... and Zigouras engineering gate driver ****

Good luck
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:21 AM   #70 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Charlton MA, USA
Posts: 463

EVVette - '71 Chevy Corvette Coupe
Thanks: 31
Thanked 172 Times in 92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechman600 View Post
I received my "field control module" from EPC corp today. The quotation marks are definitely necessary. It looks home made. Not shoddily home made, but still home made.

It has 5 wires: battery pos, battery neg, motor pos, motor neg and ignition. I did what anyone would do and removed the cover to see what's inside.

A relay and a blue thing. I don't know what the blue thing is, but it's wired like this:

I did test it with a 12V battery and my motor. Yup - no spark when I disconnect the green "ignition" wire. But is this device actually doing anything besides transferring the inductive spark from inside the on-off switch to inside of the relay? Who knows. And the way everything is glued together, it's not like I can easily replace the relay if it lays an egg.

What is the blue thing?
The "blue thing" appears to be some kind of snubber capacitor designed to absorb surge voltage spikes in a DC bus.

It would be nice to know the actual part number on it, but its most likely on the top that's glued down or the side touching the side of the enclosure.

-Adam

__________________
www.EVVette.com - 1971 Corvette Coupe Conversion to all Electric!
www.AdamBrunette.com - Machining, CNC, Robotics and Electronics.

You can download RTD Explorer for the Cougar controllers at www.EVVette.com
  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Tags
"electric car", conversion, convert, motorcycle

Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com