View Single Post
Old 04-13-2012, 03:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
CamaroSpike23
The Jalopy Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrybuck View Post
Understood! You have a bit on your plate!
I envy your wind tunnel GIFT! Enjoy!
I haven't been too the tunnel in nearly two years. I'm looking forward to doing some testing again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
A hearty welcome to the forum.

I'm really looking forward to following your project.

Yay - everyone should run forums, then we'd have no hard feelings!

You lucky dog! Every ecomodder's dream. Do you mean "access" as in "I know a guy..." or as in "I have a credit card"?

cheers-
Darin
I hope you are in for a long ride... lol

quick update (and I should really start a new thread... will do that after I leave the shop today).

I'm buying a new house in another month or so. But... I've got 2 more credit cards to pay off between my wife and I and we will be debt free (besides the house) in the last year we've already paid off 7 other cards (I had 2... she has 5... go figure).

to add to that, we are switching babysitters and paying half the price we used to. so financially, things are looking much better.

As far as the truck goes, haven't done a whole lot in the last month or so besides change the oil and check tire pressure...

actually... now that I think about it... I did do a "mod" to reduce drag a little...

basically, a woman couldn't decide on which lane she wanted to be in and swerved into my lane... causing me to drive to the side of the road where it just so happens a tree limb was hanging out about 2ft into the road and off went my passenger side mirror....

its been nearly 2 weeks since it happened, but I haven't had the time free from work, kids, mortgage stuff to mess with getting it fixed. trying to find one on CL for now.

I have been working on some initial designs for a lower air dam for under the front bumper tho. that and adding brake ducts to the factory fog light holes (no fog lights on the truck).

As for the wind tunnel access question...its a little bit of both...lol

I've been very fortunate over the last half decade or so to meet, befriend and work with a lot of various race teams, pro shops and individuals who understand I'm not made of money (like some of them...lol) and they have let me "piggyback" on their testing days when they rent out the facility for the whole day. They get done with what they need a few hours early, and we start loading other vehicles into the tunnel, bikes, trucks, trailers, etc. But with most of these guys, I'm helping them out in other ways, whether it be working on their stuff, giving them technical advice (I am an engineer after all), or just helping them set up car shows/events/etc and usually add in a couple cases of alcohol and the gas to get there and back is enough to balance things out.

With the new home purchase, I may not be able to make it to the tunnel this summer as the house was built prior to 1950 and still has a lot of knob and tube wiring and a few other things that I have to upgrade over the coming months. And I've got the 3rd annual Camaro5Fest in Indianapolis in August.

But we'll see how things work out.