View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012, 12:21 AM   #27 (permalink)
max_frontal_area
EcoModding Apprentice

still no answer to my question. to answer yours - i would!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
At a cost of $186.50 per gallon energy equivalent to gasoline who in their right mind would bother? even splitting water at home is going to cost you the same as if you had spent $37 per gallon on gasoline.
No one is saying that hydrogen does not burn, it does, it burns great, but it also doesn't have a whole lot of energy in it, like Old Mechanic said, a liter of hydrogen is the same amount of energy as one and a half wood matches, enough to burn you and make a pretty flame but it's a fluffy fuel.
You can of course also make hydrogen chemically by dropping aluminum in Lye works well, but then you need a source of aluminum that is cheaper then the scrap price.
1.22V infinity will bubble oxy and hydro out of water. coincidentally same voltage as your standard PV cell. backyards frequently have sun. high pressure diaphragm pump will allow you to create a meaningful hydrogen charge.
using some of my engines waste heat for getting the hydrogen ready for combustion will bring it another step closer to adiabatic. spark engines seem to like a gaseous fuel addition - compression engines LOVE it!

cheap aluminun? my neighbors yard