Thread: Oregon commuter
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012, 06:51 PM   #72 (permalink)
Curtis in Texas
EcoModding Lurker

Interesting design. I too have been wanting to build a bike with the engine in the rear. My thoughts are to build a flat single curved windshield framed like the Quasars. Would save having to do compound complicated curves.

My design would be a two seater with 2 doors.
The cabin would have a left door for the driver and a right side door for the passenger. The door will overlap a little on each side so should the bike fall over on one side the driver could recline the seat back and crawl out the back door or allow the passenger to crawl out the driver door if on the right side should the outriggers either fail to deploy or the driver have a brain fart and forget to put them down.

So to contribute to the brain trust, here are my thoughts on what's been discussed so far. The outriggers I've designed would use a pair of foot operated parking brake levers, mounted next to each other under the dash that a foot could easily cover both foot pads of the levers at the same time. This would uncomplicate the deployment method and make them as fast or slow as the rider needed them. Electric release solidoids would be used for quick tandum release. The outriggers would be spring loaded to retract against small nitrogen shock cylinders to prevent them from slapping the compression stops. Think of releasing the parking brake lever on a pickup. They would also have individual manual release pull levers on the dash so the driver could override one side or the other while his foot is on the pedals to fine tune the plant of the outriggers. Swivel caster wheel will make up for some slow moving mistakes or balance problems while manuvering. This could give the driver the ability to bounce the low side up if it's too extreme just before taking off. All while the other side is still down to catch it from going over on the other side. And the driver could cover both pedals with one foot if he needed to redeploy the outriggers quickly.

I use to build recumbant bicycles about 30 years ago where I used a 16 inch front wheel that was under the rider. The riders seat back was in front of the large 27 inch rear wheel. The pedals were out in front. The handlebars came up from under the seat.
It was hard to teach adults how to balance the bike while going slow, so I gave up on going commercial with them. Kids picked the concept up in about 60 seconds though. Unicycle riders had no problem with the balance of the thing with their hips. I'm thinking balancing a cabin motorcycle would be a lot like riding my recumbants.

As been said, some of us would not have a problem balancing them slow.
Others, not so easy!

Color me subscribed!

Last edited by Curtis in Texas; 04-14-2012 at 07:00 PM..