View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ptero
Hydrogen Nut

Smart Car ForTwo Pure - '08 Smart Fortwo Pure stripped
90 day: 51.35 mpg (US)

BMW 750iL V12 - '90 BMW V12
90 day: 26.4 mpg (US)

Wildfire 250C - '08 Shandong Pioneer 250C
Ptero gets kicked off CleanMPG for dissing the Volt

Hello. I guess I'm back until I get kicked off Ecomodder for thinking the Chevy Volt sucks eggs. The true believers over at Wayne Gerdes' CleanMPG.com finally had enough of my opinion of the Chevy Volt and kicked me off "forever".

"You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified. Date the ban will be lifted: Never"

It appears that for one to have differing opinions about hybrids, especially plug-in hybrids - and especially the Chevy Volt - is heretical on some high-mileage forums. If one wants to point out that the well-to-wheels argument for battery/petroleum cars drops them below pure high-mileage petroleum cars in lifetime fuel costs, hordes of outraged EV true believers attack and eventually pummel to death any contrary opinion.

And if one wants to point out the physics barriers in battery tech that require state-of-the-art batteries to exist at the edge of a dangerous envelope, watch out. True believers don't want to hear that stuff.

Then, of course, there is the decreasing output that many early adopters have experienced. Or even worse, the devastating total "bricking" of a new EV, which some, like myself (with a GEM purchased from a "Big-3" dealer), have experienced. This kind of experience can lead to disillusionment, suspicion and intense analysis.

I have always believed that pure electrics have a role - but a very limited, local one. I have yet to identify a cost effective well-to-wheels argument for ANY lithium battery powered or lithium battery assisted vehicle.

Ptero
Smart Car with Trailer: CA to IL - CleanMPG Forums