View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
kingsway
EcoModding Apprentice

My Ultraguage stays on - reading several thousand MPG! So I don't really know how realistic the indicated results are. Time will tell when I refill the tank. I was expecting to be doing a fairly long inter-city test-run today - but things got cancelled.

The battery warning light comes on to show I'm not charging - but no other warnings.

It's the standard way of shutting off the engine - so can't imagine I'm doing any harm to the injector pump?

As I said - with engine on and in neutral I was getting between 93 and 100mpg on the 'down-hill' run (if there is such a thing as a hill around here!) - but got an easy 145mpg (indicated) when switching the engine off and coasting.

It's about a mile of narrow roads, 5 miles of dual-carriageway (A428) , then, after a round-a-bout its a mile or so down-hill into town (Madingley Rd for anyone who knows Cambridge)

The steering quickly becomes seriously heavy, and brake vacuum assist doesn't last long.

So it is something that needs to be done with some discretion - and not in the midst of heavy traffic!

I'd love to be able to try an alt. delete too - but not at the expense of needing a big new battery. My alternator connector is readily accessible too. But, although I can easily unplug the cable - to cut and alter the wires is not quite possible - I'd probably have to take the front of the car off to get my big fat fingers in there!