View Single Post
Old 04-18-2012, 07:44 AM   #129 (permalink)
jtbo
Master EcoModder

ZX - '97 Citroen ZX Monaco
OldContinents
90 day: 61.05 mpg (US)
Piwoslaw, cost of servicing this kind of simple bike is really low, also it is very easy to service by self and serviced bike would serve years without any up keep, ten years easily with replacing tires and lubricating chains and bearings, it is so much simpler and cheaper to run than modern bicycles that I choose to keep mine as backup instead of selling.

Also these original ones start to be bit rare, especially in good condition and original paint, so if there is space, I would keep it.

Today I wanted to test how fast I can make that bicycle go, I got up to 52.9kph, I could of pedal even faster for very short time, but I got bit scared at that point, you see It is almost impossible to ride that bicycle with one hand, no hope for riding without hands, it is very unstable, so at that speed it made lot of turns by itself.

This is my main bicycle, Renault E... something (letter by letter, it is Eclaireur, don't know if that is a word, impossible to say and impossible to remember), it is in bit poor state as I'm waiting parts for it, this bicycle did cost around 200 euros at 2006, haven't really done much else than riding. Wires are for headlamp setup, car's foglamp and battery in bags that I usually place to rear, that is why there are plastic strips taped to rear triangle, to protect paint from damage as bag's belts tend to wear off paint. It is aluminum body so rust will not be issue with it of course. Still has original tires too, I guess around 3000-4000km total so far, haven't really kept book with this bicycle. Last summer some use, then two-three summers without much of use, before that rode year around.