Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Alternative Transportation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #121 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ZX - '97 Citroen ZX Monaco
OldContinents
90 day: 61.05 mpg (US)
My backup bicycle as main one failed recently, so until I get parts to repair my main bicycle, I have to use this (sorry about poor pic):

It is called Jupiter, that is brand of bicycle, it is from 80's and had no gears originally, but I took Sachs Torpedo 3 speed rear wheel and gear selector + cable from another Jupiter and put into this one, then I installed Nokian Rollspeed tires to it, lubricated chain as it had been lot more than 10 years since nobody had rode this bicycle.

Seems to be working fine, even there is no hand brakes foot brake seem to be operating just fine, does not make odd noises and goes as fast as my main bicycle that has 21 gears, I have been thinking that if I could swap single gear rear hub to my main bicycle it would be lot better as it would be 3 gears front and 3 gears back, which would be more than plenty and it would be much simpler, but it is not easily possible.

I will post pic of my main bicycle when I get it working again.

I have 2 Camping and 2 Jupiter which all are similar to this bicycle in photo, one I did found under the pine at my forest, so that is going to take a lot of work to restore.

Then there is one Renault (my main bicycle), which is perhaps Trekking bike, but it is more of city bike, I'm going to do some modifications to that so that it is more of Triathlon bike, but I'm not sure what it will be really with limited resources. 11 teeth rear gear will be installed soon and some new handlebars, also better tires to make it run bit easier, would love to change front gears to something more highway like too, but it might take some time to do that.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-17-2012, 07:42 PM   #122 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Toyota - '94 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.91 mpg (US)

Scooter - '06 Yamaha Majesty
90 day: 31.65 mpg (US)
Jtbo, put a jacket on that poor bike! She`s going to freeze to death

Putting the Torpedo wheel in a bike with three chainrings sounds like a fun experiment. I hope you try it.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:31 PM   #123 (permalink)
Master Ecomadman

sc1 - '98 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 43.17 mpg (US)

Airplane Bike - '11 home built Carp line Tour

rans - '97 rans tailwind

tractor - '66 International Cub cadet 129

2002 Space Odyssey - '02 Honda Odyssey EX-L
90 day: 28.25 mpg (US)

red bug - '00 VW beetle TDI

big tractor - '66 ford 3400

red vw - '00 VW new beetle TDI
90 day: 58.42 mpg (US)

RV - '88 Winnebago LeSharo
90 day: 16.67 mpg (US)
bike

Pedal powered, calorie fueled.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:08 PM   #124 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I have enjoyed riding a Huffy 3spd for many years. To get a good 12 spd system I recommend using 44/40T chainrings and 16/13T gears on the the hub. The ratios are well spaced and it is self indexing. You need a rear derailleur or tensioner to work with multiple chainrings.
I made my own aerobars using mountain bike end bars moved inboard. I bolted together some aluminum angle stock and some verticle tubing for grips. Check the fairings on Photobucket from the earlier post.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:05 PM   #125 (permalink)
GRU
Master EcoModder

silver bullet - '00 Honda Civic
90 day: 34.41 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman455 View Post
Nice to see some other Cervelos on here! Here are mine:

Those are nice bikes. My bike probably costs less that one of your pedals lol

Old 04-18-2012, 12:33 AM   #126 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Speedster - '69 Schwinn Speedster

Heading home with the kid. The bike is a 1969 Schwinn Speedster w/ a 3-speed Sturmey Archer hub. It's a slow and heavy, but stylish, beast.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:49 AM   #127 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

OldContinents
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimJFowler View Post

Heading home with the kid. The bike is a 1969 Schwinn Speedster w/ a 3-speed Sturmey Archer hub. It's a slow and heavy, but stylish, beast.
That is really nice looking bicycle, shapes are so much better looking than most modern stuff, imo.

I wonder if that kid trailer would have smaller cd backwards? That is what I always think when I see that type of trailer, maybe kammback for it?

Old 04-18-2012, 02:42 AM   #128 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbo View Post
My backup bicycle as main one failed recently, so until I get parts to repair my main bicycle, I have to use this (sorry about poor pic):
We have a very similar bike! It's been hanging on the garage wall for almost 10 years now. It used to belong to my wife's cousin, who moved out, got married, and stopped biking (not necessarily in that order). We've been trying to decide whether to give it away (don't know anyone who would want it, but a charity will probably take it) or tune it up so that our friends can use it when they drop by (our friends hardly bike anymore).

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 04-18-2012, 07:44 AM   #129 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

OldContinents
Piwoslaw, cost of servicing this kind of simple bike is really low, also it is very easy to service by self and serviced bike would serve years without any up keep, ten years easily with replacing tires and lubricating chains and bearings, it is so much simpler and cheaper to run than modern bicycles that I choose to keep mine as backup instead of selling.

Also these original ones start to be bit rare, especially in good condition and original paint, so if there is space, I would keep it.

Today I wanted to test how fast I can make that bicycle go, I got up to 52.9kph, I could of pedal even faster for very short time, but I got bit scared at that point, you see It is almost impossible to ride that bicycle with one hand, no hope for riding without hands, it is very unstable, so at that speed it made lot of turns by itself.

This is my main bicycle, Renault E... something (letter by letter, it is Eclaireur, don't know if that is a word, impossible to say and impossible to remember), it is in bit poor state as I'm waiting parts for it, this bicycle did cost around 200 euros at 2006, haven't really done much else than riding. Wires are for headlamp setup, car's foglamp and battery in bags that I usually place to rear, that is why there are plastic strips taped to rear triangle, to protect paint from damage as bag's belts tend to wear off paint. It is aluminum body so rust will not be issue with it of course. Still has original tires too, I guess around 3000-4000km total so far, haven't really kept book with this bicycle. Last summer some use, then two-three summers without much of use, before that rode year around.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:18 AM   #130 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

If you are using a bike with a 3 spd internal gear hub, the standard gearing usually a 48T chain ring and 19T hub gear. For 'stop and go' traffic or hauling a trailer I use a 40T chain ring. Riding at 50+ kph (30 mph) is plenty fast on these older bikes, some developed fork shake or wobbling. You really appreciate a good fairing at that speed. A kammback on the trailer would help as well.

Reply  Post New Thread