Thread: Oregon commuter
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2012, 09:49 PM   #73 (permalink)
Electictracer
EcoModding Lurker

Send a message via ICQ to Electictracer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in Texas View Post
My thoughts are to build a flat single curved windshield framed like the Quasars. Would save having to do compound complicated curves.

I use to build recumbant bicycles about 30 years ago where I used a 16 inch front wheel that was under the rider. The riders seat back was in front of the large 27 inch rear wheel. The pedals were out in front. The handlebars came up from under the seat.
I wrestled a long time with the problem of eliminating compound curves in this design. The only such curve is the windshield, and no matter what I tried, a single curve always looked terrible in my computer model. Making the windshield will probably be the most challenging and time consuming part of the project.
It is interesting you mention recumbent seating. I was looking for options to reduce overall vehicle length and I did consider a feet up design, but decided it might not be driver friendly enough. I hope to let others drive this little monster on occasion without too much fear of them wrecking it.
I have tomorrow off and plan to make great strides in constructing my controls and finishing all of the little odds and ends like building mounts for the radiator and seatbelt system. It’s finally ready to roll around the on its own, I’m behind because I did not work on it at all this last weekend. Here is a better picture; it looks rather small in the driveway.