View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 10:41 AM   #41 (permalink)
steffen707
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanvdW View Post
I thought about a system where I would have a cut-off switch for the alternator, (with a Volt meter to monitor battery power levels)

Then install a floor mounted push-button, on the floor about a foot behind the clutch pedal. If you go down a steep hill, or approach a stop, and use the engine compression to slow down the vehicle in stead of the brakes, you step on the switch, re-engaging the alternator. The alternator will then generate power from the "braking action" and not consume fuel.
You cannot step on it while the clutch is pressed.
--Obviously only applicable to manual transmission vehicles--

(accessories sold separately, batteries not included)
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I already thought of this.

My version is a little better (i think). What you would do is put a micro switch at the end of the gas pedal travel. Whenever the gas pedal is all the way down, you would be coasting to a stop. With this method you don't have to worry about yet another foot pedal/switch, it just simply is connected to an existing one(gas pedal).

You would also want to set up a disable switch on the dash in case you want to charge all the time, and also have a bypass switch on the dash that would ignore the gas pedal micro switch so you never charge.

I might end up doing this, but for now I don't have any deep cycle batteries.

Oh, and honda's ecu actually already does this. When the tps shows its closed the alternator will charge. I don't know how much drag there is, but it is noticable, as you can coast farther with the alternator off, then when its on(i've tested with my current 1 switch alternator disable, flipping it on and off during a highway coastdown).