View Single Post
Old 04-22-2012, 06:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
larrybuck
Master EcoModder

I have a different direction I am coming from. I intentionally like to take long trips 4-5 states away on the least congested freeways I can find.

As you know, the American highway system as a whole has some pretty beat up roads,
that now days seems never enough budget to cover.

Older pavement right lanes are beat up, patched, and rutted with heavy truck traffic.

I often go to the left for a smoother, more mpg ride. I watch my mirrors constantly, and always return back to the right early enough never to confuse traffic catching up.

So in your view, IF; I were in one of those states mentioned, traveling ALONE; that a hidden cop might ticket me for going 50mph in the tullies by myself, just because I happen to be in the left lane???

Many places have such a difference of quality between the 2 lanes. Even expansion
joint wear can differ wildly out in the west.

Thank goodness Idaho seems to be about 90% fixed. Most of their I-84 used to be pretty rough. Utah, the same. Nebraska can still try the patience of any short wheelbased light vehicle many places on I-80.

Anybody near Omaha; sorry! A few years ago, I felt like I was tearing apart the front
suspension on the '82 VW Quantum wagon I drove then. I vowed to not return to that area of I-80 until I know its not like that anymore!!!

I admit to being spoiled. As a whole, Oregon, and Washington's roads I know are silk
compared to rough wintertime's North, and Northeast USA's life.

Do you guys just replace shock/struts every year, or what???

I like Nebraska, but some of the older back highways with those constant joint expansions just about drive me nuts! This is all at speeds never above 50-55mph.!!!
06 Chev MonteC JG#24tribute car 30mpg 00 Honda Insight 63MPG 98 Buick Park Ave3.8 33MPG 89 Toyota Corolla wag 53MPG so far 81 VW Rabbit diesel pu 50MPG+ 80 Mercedes 240D stick 30-ish 90 vette 6-speed,29ish 07 Honda ST1300 55MPG 83 Honda 650 GL 64MPG 19 Suzuki dr200 88MPG23 HondaGrom?+Tow K10D Sub 26mpg NEVER,NEVER GIVE UP!
PUMP THOSE TIRES UP!
DRIVE IN YOUR SOCKS FOR SENSITIVITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SLOW DOWN AND SMOOTH UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![SIGPIC]