View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #116 (permalink)
ProDarwin
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
I used to use a Binks #7 spray gun to feed well atomized water into the intake manifold of a 81-81 280 ZX to remove carbon deposits from the piston and cylinder head. About 1/3rd of the head was only 1 millimeter from the top of the piston and carbon buildup would cause a knock that made most people think the engine was coming apart.

We would use a pair of vise grips to lock the throttle at about 2500 RPM (air cleaner removed) then set the paint gun to a certain amount of atomized water and let her run for 15-20 minutes. It always worked, you could see the clean tops of the pistons through the plug holes and the knock was gone, and you had one tickled to death customer who had his engine knock fixed for less than 1 hours labor and no parts.
I've done this before, only just open the TB by hand and mist the water in with a spray bottle (as I have no spray gun). A guy on a Saturn forum hooked a vacuum hose to a water tank with a small restrictor in it so that the engine would suck in a small amount of water under vacuum. His cylinders/intake manifold are CLEAN.

I've thought about doing something like this, knowing full well it would have no positive effect on fuel economy. The Saturn engine is very susceptible to carbon buildup (especially on the rings), so it may be worth the effort. The potential for added moisture in the oil would concern me though.