View Single Post
Old 04-28-2012, 01:27 AM   #21 (permalink)
Kincurd
EcoModding Lurker

Oh man, that sounds horrible. I've heard of people dying from a slipped handlebar at the wrong time. But it's good you brought it up. I shouldn't just spew tidbits about using aluminum tubing as handle-bars, without explaining how I aim to do it right, afterall. I wouldn't want copycats to get hurt.

Bars-slipping: reminds me of the problems those ape-bars have. With all that leverage, users have a hell of a time keeping them tight. One trick that seemed prevalent in my searches, is using emery cloth to keep them from slipping. I never planned on using ape bars, but I figured, if I duplicate methods used to keep those gargantuan levers from leveraging out of place, I'll be set.

What I'll be using is seamless/drawn 6061 Aluminum. 6061 is the same grade alloy Easton uses for some of their lightweight bicycle handlebars; incidentally, motorcyclists have been known to use their bars in the past. It's between 10 and 11 gauge (1/8" wall thickness.); on top of that, it's flat/broomstick; so there won't be any slippy leverage.

I'll be knurling it and using the tried and true double emery cloth trick they use on ape bars, and stainless steel bolts that I can tighten like my life depended on it.

Going to keep them as short as possible, end-to-end. I'm starting with a 26" (requires some turn signal moving or aftermarket signals) bar, which I've confirmed with a loose fit, is long enough. Any length I can trim, I will; as long as I still have it symmetrical on both sides, while also keeping the full turning radius. I'm also using a 30mm riser for it (a broomstick needs at least some extra clearance for this bike; consensus in the Zuma world is a 1" riser does the trick).

A bit of silicone caulk for the grips will act as grease to slip them on, and then cure into glue to help keep them on. Truth be told, I already did a dry-run with one of the grips on the aluminum bar; taking it off took some real effort. The silicone isn't there so much to keep grips on, but weather-seal it and keep them from slipping if the bar gets wet.

All in all, I think this is calculated to be safe and is a baby-step towards more serious eco-modding in the future.

I also plan on moving things around and sitting lower and more comfortably, but that mod's probably going to wait until winter.

Parts list summary:

7/8" outside diameter, .125" thickness - 6061 Seamless/Drawn Aluminum Tubing
Emery cloth
Silicone Caulk
Tusk Handlebar Riser Kit 7/8" Bars 30mm

I think that covers everything.

Last edited by Kincurd; 04-29-2012 at 11:20 PM..