Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2012, 01:27 AM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Oh man, that sounds horrible. I've heard of people dying from a slipped handlebar at the wrong time. But it's good you brought it up. I shouldn't just spew tidbits about using aluminum tubing as handle-bars, without explaining how I aim to do it right, afterall. I wouldn't want copycats to get hurt.

Bars-slipping: reminds me of the problems those ape-bars have. With all that leverage, users have a hell of a time keeping them tight. One trick that seemed prevalent in my searches, is using emery cloth to keep them from slipping. I never planned on using ape bars, but I figured, if I duplicate methods used to keep those gargantuan levers from leveraging out of place, I'll be set.

What I'll be using is seamless/drawn 6061 Aluminum. 6061 is the same grade alloy Easton uses for some of their lightweight bicycle handlebars; incidentally, motorcyclists have been known to use their bars in the past. It's between 10 and 11 gauge (1/8" wall thickness.); on top of that, it's flat/broomstick; so there won't be any slippy leverage.

I'll be knurling it and using the tried and true double emery cloth trick they use on ape bars, and stainless steel bolts that I can tighten like my life depended on it.

Going to keep them as short as possible, end-to-end. I'm starting with a 26" (requires some turn signal moving or aftermarket signals) bar, which I've confirmed with a loose fit, is long enough. Any length I can trim, I will; as long as I still have it symmetrical on both sides, while also keeping the full turning radius. I'm also using a 30mm riser for it (a broomstick needs at least some extra clearance for this bike; consensus in the Zuma world is a 1" riser does the trick).

A bit of silicone caulk for the grips will act as grease to slip them on, and then cure into glue to help keep them on. Truth be told, I already did a dry-run with one of the grips on the aluminum bar; taking it off took some real effort. The silicone isn't there so much to keep grips on, but weather-seal it and keep them from slipping if the bar gets wet.

All in all, I think this is calculated to be safe and is a baby-step towards more serious eco-modding in the future.

I also plan on moving things around and sitting lower and more comfortably, but that mod's probably going to wait until winter.

Parts list summary:

7/8" outside diameter, .125" thickness - 6061 Seamless/Drawn Aluminum Tubing
Emery cloth
Silicone Caulk
Tusk Handlebar Riser Kit 7/8" Bars 30mm

I think that covers everything.

Last edited by Kincurd; 04-29-2012 at 11:20 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #22 (permalink)
Old Retired R&D Dude

Little Red - '12 Toyota Prius c 2 Two
90 day: 57.82 mpg (US)

"Whitey" Bulger - '14 Toyota RAV4 LE
I've had loose grips a few times on bikes. No fun when they slide off!

The stock grips on my new bike have a manufacturing defect,
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...LandRgrips.jpg
so I'm getting some bolt-on grips!

ERGON GP1-S Mountain Bike Bicycle Handlebar Grips NEW | eBay

I didn't like the way the stock grips slowly rotated during a ride..
Doesn't instill confidence.

The liner inside my old Bell brain bucket had gone bad.
Instead of buying the $15 replacement liner kit (foam with velcro on one side),
I blew $22.99 on a new helmet.. Like the fit better too.

Bern Macon Summer EPS Helmet (Ebay)..

Now, I'm ready for the summer!!

Current ride: 2014 RAV4 LE AWD (24 MPG)

Wife's Pizza Transporter
Old 04-28-2012, 02:23 PM   #23 (permalink)
Old Retired R&D Dude

Don't know if these grips would be good on a motorbike, but they sure are nice on my bicycle.

Before I started installing these, I found my shifter and brakes were too close to my hands..
I had left them in the 'factory' installed positions.
Now, I've moved them in towards the middle a bit and they are much easier to grab..

Wife's Pizza Transporter
Old 04-30-2012, 09:43 AM   #24 (permalink)
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline
90 day: 18.64 mpg (US)

Joetta - '86 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Oil Burner
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.71 mpg (US)

Benzilla - '85 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 28.08 mpg (US)
Here was my zuma

I am not a scooter rider so my wife took it over and returned the bodywork to stock. She did rebuild the 50 with a 70 kit

"The reward of suffering is experience."
Harry S. Truman

“There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.”
Ayn Rand
Old 04-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #25 (permalink)
Old Retired R&D Dude

When you had that big aero-nose on it, what was the change in MPG?
That thing looks like it would be funky in a crosswind..

Wife's Pizza Transporter
Old 04-30-2012, 10:55 AM   #26 (permalink)
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline
90 day: 18.64 mpg (US)

Joetta - '86 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Oil Burner
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.71 mpg (US)

Benzilla - '85 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 28.08 mpg (US)
I never measured the mpg with it. If you look at the photo you can see the aero seat I had on it. One of the reasons that the seat is so high is the large bucket under it. If you take off the body work you can mount a seat several inches lower. In my case the stock handlebars were at shoulder height.

I originally had planned to make a coroplast body behind the nose.

"The reward of suffering is experience."
Harry S. Truman

“There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.”
Ayn Rand
Old 04-30-2012, 11:06 AM   #27 (permalink)
Old Retired R&D Dude

"handlebars were at shoulder height".. Which makes me wonder how you could see the roadway?
To avoid things like potholes..

Wife's Pizza Transporter
Old 04-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I think handlebar grips are still pretty universal Xringer. They're all meant to go on 7/8" grip areas; except on a motorcycle on the right-hand side, it has to fit over a slightly bigger circumference for the throttle. My only problem with those bolt-ons you got would be the throttle; might be weird to use even if I made it work. They make some some kind of after market quarter-turn throttle I could use, though; so I don't have to turn it quite as much.

I like where you were going with that Zuma, Varn. Looks like you never got to finish it before passing it on.

I plan to sit lower in my bike when the time comes. I was thinking I'd have to move the gas tank to sit as low as I would like. If I can at least sit a bit lower by removing the panels as you said, that's better than nothing.

Well my new handle-bar install went well. I did a lot more work than I had to over the weekend. Ended up taking off the front panel and headlights and putting it all back together. After that, I installed the 26" broomstick. Had to mount the turn-signal lights on top of the handguard bracket to make room. I bought longer bolts this morning on the way to work (stainless steel allen butten head) so I can put the handguards back on along with the new turn signal mount.

Plan to get some signals that look better in the future.

Last edited by Kincurd; 04-30-2012 at 11:38 AM..
Reply  Post New Thread