View Single Post
Old 04-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #41 (permalink)
t vago
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
I've also found the "ignore user" feature to work pretty well.
"Ignore User" buttons work well for stopping any interaction between two parties, but it just prolongs the inevitable.

Before, User A could post something, which offends User B. User B would respond to User A with some post containing some combination of facts and feelings, designed to goad User A. User A responds, and so on, and so on... ad nauseam. Everybody gets turned off.

With the "Ignore User" button, User A could get tired of User B, and place User B in his "ignore" list. User B would post things as before, for a while, saying things in an attempt to re-goad User A.

But, to some new User C, reading these posts between Users A and B for the first time, User B could have some worthwhile thing to say (remember "some combination of facts and feelings?") while attacking User A, but for some odd reason, User A isn't responding at all. User C can't find a reason for this. User C would also see other people that are interacting with User B, and that would just make User A's non-interaction that much more puzzling. User C might even read some of the interaction between Users A and B, but would quickly get lost in the discussion. User C would come to the tentative conclusion that User B is to be believed more than User A.

Again, what would I instead suggest? More pro-active moderation by the admin team. At least, to modify the board software or provide some other feature to allow others to see that User A is actually ignoring User B.

In the meantime, I will myself start using the "ignore user" feature, but I will include in my signature who I am ignoring, and a link to a post detailing why. Using my example above, it will provide User C with the necessary context to explain why User A is not responding to User B.

Last edited by t vago; 04-28-2012 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: clarification