View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 03:04 PM   #26 (permalink)
RiderofBikes
EcoModding Apprentice

Pantry Boy Supreme (pbs) - '04 Volvo S80 T6 Premier
Quote:
Originally Posted by hzoltaan View Post
I guess the solution would be to crack the engine open and try to fit another 5th gear from a bigger model? (what bigger model??) Since you have 1000, i can't think of a bigger brother of the same engine which might have slightly different gearing...
changing wheel...: again, find one which is bigger, but plug'n'play with the shaftdrive... I swapped wheels in my previous bikes many times so I appreciate the ballpark what the chaindrive gives me. Shaft is definitely better in performance, maintenance though.

transmissions... CVT? I have never heard of big enough which could handle the GS1000, but who knows... cutting it up and putting it in however makes it an absolute no go for me, specially if we consider the loss of energy in the transmission due to slippage...

but theoretically I guess, this is what you thought of...?
its an 1100 and the only other models i can think of, would be the 1100E(6sp) and 1150(6sp) for possible trans mods. Even then, the ratios may be too close to bother with. Maintenance isnt bad, judging the condition of the forks(factory fish oil), the Oil in the Shaft/bearing/gear housing probably hasn't been touched since then as well in 2x,xxx mi and rides excellent.

And on the Trans idea, wasn't thinking much of the CVT route, but more like the double clutch system (Powershift 6speed) the Fiesta has. No Tq converter, it just engages the gear seamlessly without loss of power to the wheels with any given speed. When its in Drive, and at a full stop since its not moving, the clutch system isnt engaged, no friction losses when idling. ON a side note, That hill assist would be nice on bikes This all popped up based on the Honda Matic bikes... I'm the one drifting off topic srry bout that.