Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2012, 09:26 PM   #21 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Frank's right... we're steering away from the original topic sharply here.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

just to make things fancier...
it's a shaft driven bike right? changing gearing is not at all that simple...
Old 05-02-2012, 12:03 AM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Pantry Boy Supreme (pbs) - '04 Volvo S80 T6 Premier
Quote:
Originally Posted by hzoltaan View Post
just to make things fancier...
it's a shaft driven bike right? changing gearing is not at all that simple...
You got it! no chains here. Only mods would be replacing internal gearing, or bigger taller tire
Tbh, id love to have a 6th gear. or an overdrive option with this bike, if that would ever be possible. 5 gears seems just fine to me, but me thinks a taller 5th would be better all around. But dont have that kinda budget for specific mods like that. I'd be better off getting a used 250

On a side note, this things got some great Low end tq, beginning at 2k and ending around 3,5k rpm then seems to level off.

Sorry everyone for drifting off topic. I was curious what would had been said/discussed about the comparison between an AT/MT with gearing, tq converters and the habits they might display. Became more curious about my Trans once i found that link... Why cant bikes have a system like that
Old 05-02-2012, 06:42 AM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I guess the solution would be to crack the engine open and try to fit another 5th gear from a bigger model? (what bigger model??) Since you have 1000, i can't think of a bigger brother of the same engine which might have slightly different gearing...
changing wheel...: again, find one which is bigger, but plug'n'play with the shaftdrive... I swapped wheels in my previous bikes many times so I appreciate the ballpark what the chaindrive gives me. Shaft is definitely better in performance, maintenance though.

transmissions... CVT? I have never heard of big enough which could handle the GS1000, but who knows... cutting it up and putting it in however makes it an absolute no go for me, specially if we consider the loss of energy in the transmission due to slippage...

but theoretically I guess, this is what you thought of...?
Old 05-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #25 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Wow did these waters ever get muddy.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:04 PM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzoltaan View Post
I guess the solution would be to crack the engine open and try to fit another 5th gear from a bigger model? (what bigger model??) Since you have 1000, i can't think of a bigger brother of the same engine which might have slightly different gearing...
changing wheel...: again, find one which is bigger, but plug'n'play with the shaftdrive... I swapped wheels in my previous bikes many times so I appreciate the ballpark what the chaindrive gives me. Shaft is definitely better in performance, maintenance though.

transmissions... CVT? I have never heard of big enough which could handle the GS1000, but who knows... cutting it up and putting it in however makes it an absolute no go for me, specially if we consider the loss of energy in the transmission due to slippage...

but theoretically I guess, this is what you thought of...?
its an 1100 and the only other models i can think of, would be the 1100E(6sp) and 1150(6sp) for possible trans mods. Even then, the ratios may be too close to bother with. Maintenance isnt bad, judging the condition of the forks(factory fish oil), the Oil in the Shaft/bearing/gear housing probably hasn't been touched since then as well in 2x,xxx mi and rides excellent.

And on the Trans idea, wasn't thinking much of the CVT route, but more like the double clutch system (Powershift 6speed) the Fiesta has. No Tq converter, it just engages the gear seamlessly without loss of power to the wheels with any given speed. When its in Drive, and at a full stop since its not moving, the clutch system isnt engaged, no friction losses when idling. ON a side note, That hill assist would be nice on bikes This all popped up based on the Honda Matic bikes... I'm the one drifting off topic srry bout that.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Yamaha paper model patterns can be down loaded off the Internet. I have some pics on the bicycle photo thread in the Alternative section, one is a Windjammer style fairing cut from a 24x48 inch piece of coroplast.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:46 AM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

jvsgears - '14 Skoda Octavia
Team m8
90 day: 52.47 mpg (US)
Riderofbikes

Did you consider making a special 5 gear set ?
I made gears for Vetter I can make gears for you if you are interested.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:30 AM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by janvos39 View Post
Riderofbikes

Did you consider making a special 5 gear set ?
I made gears for Vetter I can make gears for you if you are interested.
Man id love the help for this stuff, as i need some engine work done either way, Need a new gasket between bottom/top end right now. leaks oil, 4-5oz every 500miles or so. Might be doing this work myself if its too expensive. I have AutoCad 2008 (took classes during high school couple yrs ago). But RARELY use it. nor do i have time or tools to measure everything precisely. And have NO knowledge about creating gears for a tranny. ALSO, now that i think about it, if i pay for materials i could have the local college CNC the parts for low costs... Mainly a course for Harley Davidson repair and design, but its all the same tech...
Old 05-05-2012, 09:22 AM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Not to rain on the parade here, but...

If you wanted to go to that extent (making transmission gears), and were really looking for high mileage numbers, you would be better starting with a much smaller engine.

Modifying an 1100cc engine to any extent to increase mileage potential isn't practical or efficient.

If mileage numbers are the goal, sell the GS and get a 250 Ninja or CBR - then mod from there.

Jay

Reply  Post New Thread