View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 03:14 PM   #5706 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
I've noticed that there ARE times when I would like to have at least two different settings on the controller.

Just one example.... Last year, I had my car in the local Independence Day Parade. The whole trip was at walking-pace or less. A really hard speed to keep steady. My controller was tuned for smooth starts and brisk acceleration, but didn't handle going back and forth between 0 and 1 mile per hour all that well. (I did do a burn-out in front of the review stand though!)

By the end of the parade, I decided that if I was ever going to run in a parade again, I would tune the controller for speed and acceleration that would be more suitable. (And remember to write down or save those parameters!)

In fact, the new generation of commercially-built EVs have features similar to this. In the Chevy Volt, you can choose between a NORMAL and SPORT mode at the push of a button. Essentially, SPORT mode tells the computer to allow for a little more aggressive throttle response and higher amperage from batteries to motor. It's a great feature. The Volt is a lot of fun to drive in SPORT mode.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos