View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 10:10 PM   #38 (permalink)
Thymeclock
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Why? I can't see it myself.
Neither you nor your buddies (check out the backslapping 'thanks' of the usual regulars that are the 'amen chorus' in this thread) can see it. They think it's cool to deride it.

The guy likes to eat out. So what? There could be many reasons for his wanting to do so. He need not explain himself to you for doing so. Is he doing any harm to anyone by it? What are you putting him on the defensive for?

If the administration of this list is going to allow goading, jeering and provocation, I will insist that they permit a civil response to it.

Quote:
Eating out means spending lots of time driving to a restaurant, reading menus, waiting for the waitron to take your order & bring food, etc. Now if it's a social occasion, sure, but just for a meal alone? Far easier to cook.
Who are you to dictate to anyone what they should enjoy in life? You mention the "waitron"? I grew up in a world where there were waiters and waitresses. In the real world, they still are that. But then, I'm not into political correctness jargon, nor the politics of the guilt mongering of the leftist nanny state.
Quote:
Likewise with electricity, why do you love using it? Does it give you a thrill? Me, I like some of the things that are achieved via electricity, but just using it doesn't improve my quality of life at all.
Try living without electric power for a while, then you will appreciate your quality of life issue. Will that "give you a thrill"? He said he enjoys "use", and he isn't advocating abuse or waste.

Quote:
And I do like the way the pennies I save mount up. I live as comfortably as my neighbors, if not more so, but have a power bill that runs at least $50/month less. That's money I can spend on things that give me more enjoyment.
Good for you. Everyone is entitled to enjoyment of life without browbeating others or dictating to them how to live as they prefer. But if you were truly liberal, an advocate of freedom, rather than a politically correct, so called Liberal, you would live and let live.